Ideas to fix these metel plates together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got these weights, they are 20kg each and i need to fix 2 together to make 40kg, they will be carried so need to be fixed pretty good, any ideas? 20180714_141144.jpg

Sponsored Links
Large diameter, but short length bolt through the middle with a washer either side and nut on the back? Some pretty large ones(M20) are readily available.

What's the thickness of the disc and what's the diameter of the hole in the middle?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The thickness of the plates is about 20mm and the hole in the middle is about 35/40mm

Think you might be onto something there but is there anything that would fit that bigger hole?

if you centre bolt them, the top will be able to swivel/rotate unless you fix the handles together.
The only place I can think to easily get a large nut and bolt is from a vehicle like a truck so a scrapyard might be worth a look

or drill the weights in three or four places and bolt through with smaller bolts.
use a new cobalt drill and some fluid

Sponsored Links
drill the weights in three or four places and bolt through with smaller bolts.

Yeah, that was going to be my next suggestion.

Gazza, if these are for some sort of training/exercise purpose and you'd rather not have anything sticking out the sides to gouge a chunk of flesh from your leg, then drilling, tapping some threads and using countersunk bolts through from one to the other is your best bet.

Unless you know someone who can weld, then you're a bit limited TBH.

Perhaps you could fasten the handless together with these heavy duty tie wraps if they are securely fixed to the weights. It depends on how often & by whom they are going to be moved.

Yeah, that was going to be my next suggestion.

Gazza, if these are for some sort of training/exercise purpose and you'd rather not have anything sticking out the sides to gouge a chunk of flesh from your leg, then drilling, tapping some threads and using countersunk bolts through from one to the other is your best bet.

Unless you know someone who can weld, then you're a bit limited TBH.

They are exactly for that purpose! Haha

I did think about drilling but not sure i have a drill manly enough to get through them

not sure i have a drill manly enough to get through them

If it was ten quid from Aldi, then you're probably right. However, what have you got?

It's more about good quality sharp bits and a steady hand (i.e. keeping the drill perpendicular to the surface in both axis).

Like Tiger said, cobalt bits are what you want for the pilot drill at least, but I would add, make sure they are "split point" also. Then enlarge the holes.

Each of your 20mm lumps have been constructed from 2 x 10mm plates welded together, it would be easier to do likewise in joining joining the lumps.
10 minutes topps with an arc welder would sort it, what about a local garage or or workshop if you dont have a handy mate?
If you do drill,4 x 8 or 10mm in each, cobalts are handy for hard stuff but good quallity HSS bits would eat it and what the heck if not perfectly round, it not got to be flown to the space station to mate on something?
litl

Ive just got a £100 dewalt, few standard drill bits lying around

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back