identification of key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a box of unidentified locks and keys

Is it possible to tell the number of levers in a mortise lock by the shape of the key?

If do is this key for a 5 lever lock?

Attachments

• key.pdf
    130.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We shouldn't need to be downloading stuff in this day and age, they should be uploading pics.

Agreed but the OP using a PDF rather than a JPEG may have been in error.

Here is the PDF as a JPEG

key.jpg

Three

I would have preferred a picture of the key, rather than a picture of a large rectangle with a small key at the bottom.

These are five.

20240511_150912.jpg

Thanks for msgs

I don't know much about attaching files - anyway here is a jpeg of the keys

There appears to be some doubt about 3 or 5 levers, I hope this picture will clarify

Attachments

• key2.jpg
    key2.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for msgs

I don't know much about attaching files - anyway here is a jpeg of the keys

There appears to be some doubt about 3 or 5 levers, I hope this picture will clarify

They often stamp the number of levers, on the lock itself.

Remember that when you put a key in a lever lock, some of the "bits" (teeth and notches) lift a lever, and some of them act to move the bolt backwards and forward. So the number of levers is always less than the number of bits. Typically by two.

Additionally, the key must be symmetrical, to operate from both sides of the door.

That's a cheap 2 lever lock key.
Very simple to pick.

New member posts a request to open an unknown link..........., might be totally innocent, then again could easily be a virus, gotta be careful

Admittedly, I did scan it before opening and converting it.

The lock case has no markings

There is a "plate" which says "Wickes 5 lever"

The keys say "Wickes"

but as the parts are all muddled up in a box I can't be sure that the "plate" goes with the lock - hence my inquiry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back