Identify socket brand

I vote Legrand too - not a fan of the sockets, but the switches are nice.

Sponsored Links
Repeating rather than mirror.

Doesn't look right.

But it'd be a dull old world if we all liked the same things (and very messy) - I guess there are enough people out there who think "that's different - I like it" for them to make them, or they would stop.

The greenbrooke double sockets that fit on single boxes also use the same switch positions

Sponsored Links
They have one advantage though - helping prevent accidental switching of sockets, where you meant to turn one off, but inadvertently turn off the other - irritating to say the least, when a CD is being written on a computer connected to it! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Outboard sockets butted up together in dado trunking in an IT suite end up like normal twin sockets where they meet :LOL:

I have to agree though, they do look wrong. If having two central adjacent switches causes confusion - you shouldn't be alive.

Case closed. (Bangs gavel).

Edit: or not knowing what adjacent means. (kills self).

The main reason is for locations where people wearing gloves are likely to use them, but i expect most people are aware of that

Outboard sockets butted up together in dado trunking in an IT suite end up like normal twin sockets where they meet :LOL:

They do indeed!

Which is why in my IT site (the office!) they are either separated by telecomms outlets or a big gap.... ;)

OfficeDadoTrunking.jpg

They just don't look right.

Is there any point to that layout, other than just looking wrong?

I think they have tried to make them symetrical

How does symmetry work in your world then?! :?:

Not like that :D
There are three classes of symmetry:-
Rotation ( \ | / - \ | /- \ )
Reflection ( \ / \ / \ / \ / )
Translation ( \ \ \ \ \ \ \ )

But I agree it doesn't look right.

The layout does have one advantage for the manufacturer in that single sockets and both halves of a double socket will all be built from identical components, so they have fewer different bits to make.

Saw something similar many years ago where each socket of a double was completely independant of t'other. Each socket had it's own terminals, with no connections at all between the two halves.

Saw something similar many years ago where each socket of a double was completely independant of t'other. Each socket had it's own terminals, with no connections at all between the two halves.
Normally that would be more work to wire, but jolly handy if you wanted to extend a ring from that point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back