identify this lullabye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange one this, but i have a song i sing to my little 15 month old baby and its gaurenteed to get her to sleep. Only trouble is i only know the first verse, so i have to try and make up the rest! Id really like to find out the rest of the words. I say its a lullabye, but im sure i can remember singing it at school in some form back in the 70s. Anyway the words (as i know them) are

Rocking rolling riding
out across the bay
all bound for morning town
many miles away,
some of us are sleepy
some of us awake
who knows what the morning brings
dum de dum......er dont know the rest

Ive looked on the net but cant find it, i can almost hear it being sung in my head in the style of the seekers, or another similar 70s folky type group.

Id really appreciate any proper answers as i m sick of singing one verse! :D

Sponsored Links
It was something to do with "Yi yippee, we're gonna ride the trail"

Sponsored Links
Thanks, just found it on google (dont know why i couldnt before!!! :evil: ) I put all the lyrics in as i knew them, it was the seekers, called morning town ride. Thanks anyway chaps!! :LOL:

thanks crystal ball, its close cos its correct, as opposed to my badly remembered ones form when i was a kid! :D

It's the New Seekers - Morningtown Ride.

Train whistle blowin' makes a sleepy noise
Underneath their blankets go all the girls and boys
Rockin', rollin', ridin', out along the bay
All bound for Morningtown, many miles away

Driver at the engine, fireman rings the bell
Sandman swings the lantern to show that all is well

Maybe it is raining where our train will ride
All the little travellers are warm and snug inside

Somewhere there is sunshine, somewhere there is day
Somewhere there is Morningtown, many miles away

the first 4 lines are from the seekers song probably in the 70,s but then they sing " driver at the engine fireman rings the bell ........

edit .. god im slow on this forum :LOL:

Sorry Thermo ,i mislead you ,kit read like something a irish drunk would sing 20 or 30 years ago in the back of a van going to work on a Monday morning :LOL:

Island of dreams by the seekers ..........lovely song ....."I wander the streets and the gay crowded places"..........I think George Michael did a cover of it :cool:

Hmm, well i memorised the words and i dont think i did a bad rendition of it at 3.30 this morning as it got her back to sleep! Didnt work on me though.......YAWN :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back