Identifying an electrical circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im in the proces of re-tiling our utility room, I removed the tiles today and came across a plug socket sized metal box with cables attached to a choc block,Before i pay for an electrician to visit, I need to know if this is a circuit or was it something previoulsy used and now defunct, (Hard i know without showing anyone) All i have to go on is a rough explanation of the wiring. 3 wires run into the box from the bottom and into the choc block, but then 6 wires run from the other side, 2 reds together, 2 browns etc etc.... Is this something I could use to run an external power source from ?
I know its a wide question but i dont understand electrics and theres one line coming in and 2 going out which puzzles me.

Sponsored Links
It may be a ring circuit with a spur off it.

The cables should not have been hidden behind the tiles unless it has been disconnected. Without some knowledge and some test equipment it is impossible to judge if its live, or dead.

For now, treat it as live.
(That means you can die if you put your fingers on it.)

You'll need a spark on site to tell you what it is and what you might be able to do with it.

Thanks for that, i wasnt gonna risk anything by touching it, tiling removal stopped when i saw it.
House is 15 yr old and we are the 2nd people in, only work we have done is to upgrade the boiler. As a stroke of luck I found a photo with the utility in the background and in the picture it shows the old bolier, the electric thermostat and the fuse spur. However the location of this mysterious socket is concealed by the tiles i am removing. Very strange, only thing i can think of is its a spur for the washing machine as theres a blanking plate on the one at floor level.
Suppose an electrician will be needed after all.
I'll tackle anything but water and electrics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back