Identifying wood floor finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to give our bedroom floor a spruce up, but I'm struggling to determine what finish has alreadybeen applied to it.

Here are the clues...

I can feel the grain on the floor, so that makes me think it isn't a varnish.

If I scrape the top of the floor a residue does come off. It doesn't flake, but it's more of a soft powdery texture.

I put a drop of tung oil on the surface. It didn't soak in, so I'm thinking it isn't an oil finish, but it did rub ok with a cloth.

I also put a drop of acetone on, and rubbed a little. This definitely removed the top layer. From what I read acetone will remove shellac, but I'm assuming it will also remove a wax based finish.

I sanded an area down with 120grt and you can see the result in the photo.

I think it could be a wax finish, and if this is the case has anyone got any suggestions as to what product I can use on it?

Thanks for your help

Joe

Attachments

• 20200529_172641.jpg
    20200529_172641.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
What are you trying to achieve here? What do you mean by a spruce up? Are you intending to sand the floor but have concerns with the coating?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back