Idiot Requires Help With Building Regs Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potentially dumb question:

Ignoring whether it is desirable or not, is it permissible under Building Regs to chase or bury hot & cold pipes in the wall? I'm thinking probably 15mm copper, but maybe also flexi.

Your help, as always, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can't chase more than certain percentage of thickness of wall, but forgoten what that is, might be 1/2, somone will know.

Wouldn't put a flexi in a wall.

Plastic or copper OK.

protect against any cement, and also allow for expansion/contraction. Keep joints to minimum, don't bury compression (not a rule for water, just common sense).

Thanks Paul - that was quick !

Double skin exterior wall, so I'm guessing that I won't exceed depth limits with 15mm copper.
Pipes will then be plastered and tiled over. Do I need any further protection ?

Thats possibly not what you want to know!

Under the Water Regulations you cannot bury water supply pipes within a wall unless they can be made accessible for example by a removable cover.

The Regs are a little unclear but could be interpreted to only mean cold mains supplies.

Secondary heating pipes can be burried but its not always wise to do that.

Tony

Sponsored Links
DOn't plaster directly onto pipes , they move!
Eg Use cheap 22mm overflow pipe for covering 15mm, and hold in place with 22mm pipe clips, and plaster over that if tilin, say. Joints and bends are trickier. Stick to horizontal and vertical runs only, as with cables, because it makes them easier to find.

Nice one guys. I also checked with my LABC. They had no objections at all to buried pipes, but did also suggest thta I talk to Severn Trent to check on Water Regs (funny, I thought that's why I phoned LABC ! :confused: )

All help much appreciated - thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back