Mixing pipe and fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can you please offer some advice on whether it is advisable to mix plastic and copper pipe and fittings. My prediciment is that i want to tee into my cold water supply feed (copper) coming from my cold water tank in the loft (this feed runs to the cold bath tap).

I wish to tee into this length of copper pipe in the loft space with a 15mm plastic "tee" fitting and then use plastic pipe to take to a pump and connect to pump with flexi.

Is it advisable/ethical to combine a mixture of copper and plastic? Has anyone had any good/bad experience with this?

Your continued help and advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
no you cant

its not the pipes that are the problem, its pumping mains water that is, not allowed to do it

Thanks for your quick reply Breezer :) , sorry i may not have made myself clear, the cold water feed is coming from the cold water storage tank in the loft, not direct from the mains, so i wouldn't be pumping the mains.

Is the mixture of copper and plastic possible if not pumping from mains?

Sponsored Links
Mark69 said:
Is the mixture of copper and plastic possible if not pumping from mains?
Yes. Eminently so. But only use tube and pipe that's in good condition, else you risk leaks past the 'O' ring in the push-fit fittings. And always use the manufacturer's support sleeves in plastic pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back