IE8 Beta..for XP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont bother..just tried it, every page I tried to download off the net didnt open..all I got was an IE error box..

Sponsored Links
I have never used anything other than Explorer purely for the reason that I was under the impression that nothing I have now (links,,, favourites etc) will work with firefox or anything else.

Is this the case?

Zampa,
Your Favourites in IE are called Bookmarks in Firefox and all you do when Firefox is installed is go to Bookmarks and select Import. The wizard does all the work, just point it at where you want to import from (namely IE Favs) and it will copy all the info across.
dave

Sponsored Links
Thanks dave..is there anything else I should know about firefox before I have a go?..could I lose anything?..will link/shortcuts that I have created in IE on my desktop still work...does it restrict you in any way?..can you still use hotmail/messenger?

Thanks..

I use Firefox - have done for ages and don't have any problems with it at all. I reckon it's much better than IE - faster and more stable - I used to get so fed up of pages freezing on me in IE.

When you import your favourites from IE, they still still in IE, so if you wanted to go back to IE or use it for some reason, all your favourites will still be there.

There aren't many sites out there that aren't compatible with Firefox but there are one or two, so I do go back to IE now and again.

I used to use Firefox but had problems with the browser just not opening up. I use Opera now and find it very good - there's a speed dial page that you can use for your favourite favourites.
Whichever you decide to go with, you'll still need to go back to IE on occasion because you will always find that there's a site you need to visit that just isn't displayed correctly with Firefox or Opera.

Zampa, You'll be OK importing or exporting details from one browser to another as the original details always stay and it justs duplkicates them where you have sent them to.

A good idea, as a thought, you can also export Bookmarks or Favourites to a backup folder in My Documents so that should you ever have an incidence with a browser having to be reset you can always import the Bookmarks back from My Documents.
To do it:
Open My Documents, in the tasks on the left click Make A New Folder. Name it Favs Backup or something.
Open your browser and export as explained above but select the folder and click OK. The layout may look different if you open the folder that is because of the format they were exported in, not a problem.

Another thing with Firefox, it sets up a User Profile folder on your computer and stores the Bookmarks and lots of other things (Home page settings etc.) in it so that if you remove Firefox and install a more upto date version it already has your details .

dave

Cheers all..o well..in for a penny! :rolleyes:

If you dont see me for a week you know something didnt work..and I will be arranging a solicitor to sue the lot of you!

I take it then that IE will still stay on the computer even though I use another browser?

I take it then that IE will still stay on the computer even though I use another browser?

Correct. IE is a part of Windows and stays put.
There is a procedure to reinstall it over a corrupt version but you cannot uninstall it altogether.

dave

The deed is done..very good im most impressed..so much quicker too, I was having a lot of grief with IE7 but I was advised not to attempt to backgrade to 6..

Cheers all.. :)

Wahey! Another convert!!

I tried IE7 and absolutely hated it so I uninstalled it - it wasn't a problem actually to go back to 6.

I also took off IE in my Windows components so that I don't have an IE button any more but I can still access it through Messenger.

How do you do that through messenger Al?...(not a crafty hint for your msn addy btw :rolleyes: )

If got a couple of sites that wont load and I use quite a lot...otherwise im really pleased wit it..

Only problem im having is sorting my old favourites..ok now bookmarks..I had quite a few that were not in seperate files and it seems I cant get them into them like ye olde 'organise favourites' option

To sort your Bookmarks, Open Firefox and click on Bookmarks on the toolbar.
Click Organise Bookmarks and in the right hand pane double click Bookmarks Menu. That should open up the full list.
Any loose ones you want to put into an existing folder just click and hold down the mouse button and drag and drop into the folder.
If you want a new folder just click the arrow next to Organise and select New folder.

You can then organise by groups, all your folders and when in groups click on the top one of the group and click the Organise button and click Separator. That will put a line above the top folder in that group.
Play around with the list. You can drag and drop Bookmarks and folders anywhere.

The Bookmarks Toolbar is a tool bar under the address bar where you can insert bookmarks that you use frequently and they will only take one click on the button to open the web site. Just drag your regular ones to the line in the that is labeled Toolbar.

dave

Thanks Dave..sorted..

Easy when you know how isnt it...and certainly a lot easier than IE.

Sponsored Links
Back