Ieal Sterad Wlx RS60

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

M
ALthough my boiler is old it has been working fine for years until thismorning.
I went to put my hot water on and it wasn't getting hot.
I checked the boiler in the garage and there is no pilot light. Any suggestions please? I tried the ignition switch but nothing, although i don't know if thats all i have to do.
In the 27 years its been here, it has only ever needed a new thermocouple thingmy (if thats the name!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have tried phoning a few gas safe engineers but no replies as yet, they are probably all out working.

Thankyou
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
if it's only had one thermocouple in 27 years then that prob the reason i change them every year as part of the service, what happens when you re light the boiler then let go of the button goes it go out ?

I cannot even light it, the flame has been burning quite a bit orangey i noticed the last couple of weeks, do you think that is the problem ? I am just pressing the ignition button and not touching anything else.

Thanks.

I cannot even light it, the flame has been burning quite a bit orangey i noticed the last couple of weeks, do you think that is the problem ? I am just pressing the ignition button and not touching anything else.

Thanks.

it sounds like it needs a service, to light it you need to push in the knob (prob grey) to the right of the ignition button, keep it pressed in as you click the ignition button once it is alight keep the knob pressed for 30 secs then let it go slowly if the flame goes out it is prob the thermocouple, as the case needs to be removed to change this thus breaking the flue seal this isn't a diy change & you need a RGI

Sponsored Links
Hi and Thanks ever so much.

I just done what you said and i can get it alight, but upon releasing the grey button slowly the flame goes out, so does that mean it is the thermocouple bit then ? I have a gas safe man coming at 3.30pm and i said that might be what it is on the phone to him, so hopefully he will have the part, i gave him the boiler name and make.

Lorraine.

Hi,
Well, my gas engineer came and replaced the thermocoupling but still the same fault! He is pricing up a new gas valve tomorrow and letting me know in the morning if he can get one and how much.
I have no idea what to expect on how much a gas valve could be or if available, any ideas?
Do you think this is the problem? If not, does it look like i need a new boiler?
Gonna be boiling myself a lot of kettles tonight :(
Thanks
Lorraine

Gas valve will be available

Prices are difficult to comment on but I would expect @£250+

Not bad for 27 years

Hi,

And...yikes! Wasn't expecting it to be that much....

I hope though that that is the problem and nothing else, thing is i don't want to pay that much out if it doesn't fix the problem, should i tell the engineer before he fits it? or, should i be looking at a completely new boiler instead? Then again, don;t know how long i would be without water/heating if i go down that route as the colder nights draw in. If i can get it fixed for a reasonable cost i was hoping at least it would last until the Springtime when time isn't a factor as the weather warms up..

Thanks
Lorraine.

You will just have to see what price he gives you.

If you don't want to spend hat much then it's best to tell him before hand and he can quote for a new boiler

His price may be lower than that, it may be higher

However a new boiler will cost considerably more

one of the only parts still available for your boiler retail somewhere around £205 + vat + fitting, it maybe time to start looking at getting some quotes for a new boiler

How much did you expect?

I hope the engineer measured the millivoltage from the Thermocouple lead at the valve to prove a valve failure. I very VERY rarely have to change a gas valve.

Mr. W.

Hi,
Thankyou both for your replies, much appreciated.
I am thinking that i should get a new boiler and maybe do away with the open vent system and stick a combi in the loft above the airing cupboard, then free up space and do away with the tank. I only had the tank replaced in the summertime though so hubby thinks i am a bit stupid!
But the pump wasn't replaced and i expect the other parts will fail soon as well, oh it's all going wrong at the mo :(
Perhaps i should ask the man tomorrow, but i am dreading being weeks without heating/water.
Will see what it will cost in my pocket first. If its around £250 and it can get me through to Spring then thats what i will do for now, gives me time to do more research and decide whats best for us.
Thanks again for your advice and help, at least i won't feel so shocked at the cost tomorrow now at least :)
Ta

How much did you expect?

I hope the engineer measured the millivoltage from the Thermocouple lead at the valve to prove a valve failure. I very VERY rarely have to change a gas valve.

Mr. W.

Got to love the mark up some off yous put on parts a 240v grey push button gas valve can be bought off the shelf for less than 70 quid including vat .

No wonder this trade gets a bad name for ripping people off..

In the words of jim royal £250 my a**e

you really don't want any of us to reply to your statement do you as swear words really don't go down very well, you glutimus maximus hole

Got to love the mark up some off yous put on parts a gas valve can be bought off the shelf for less than 70 quid including vat .

No wonder this trade gets a bad name for ripping people off..

In the words of jim royal £250 my a**e

Retail rice plus fitting plus vat in gonna come out in region of £250 that's not mark up that just a retail price.

Get real namsag

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back