IEC "Euro" line plug wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly stuck with this. Trying to wire up a male IEC line plug, but the stupid thing doesn't make which of the 2 shorter pins is the live, and which is neutral (the middle longer pin is marked as earth). According to the blurb on various sites it's a c13 type plug, and lookes like this

ft64u.jpg

My take on it is that the pin to the left is the live.... but obviously don't want to get it wrong..
Am I right?

Sponsored Links
In reality, it wont matter if you do get it wrong. Most (all?) electronic equipment is tolerant of polarity reversal and will work as normal. ;)

Do you have an IEC lead you can plug in and test with a multimeter?

They are normally marked L & N, hold on 5 mins and I'll have a look for one.

Crafty said:
Do you have an IEC lead you can plug in and test with a multimeter?

Left my multimeter on my desk at work by accident :oops:

The lead is feeding into 'a 150 watt halogen light (mounted on a stage lighting T bar being fed from a 6 gang IEC female socket board so it shouldn't matter... Just wanting to get it right and all...:cool:

Sponsored Links
If you look a it with the flex to the bottom, the L goes to the right and the N to the left. The earth pin should be slightly higher than the L&N as you look at it.

If you imagine looking at a normal domestic plug, the pins are excactly the same

please tell me you are not using this type of plug for the "live" side?

this should be on the appliance end only..

otherwise you get 240 exposed at the pins if you unplug this end with the other end plugged in...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back