IET Wiring Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the middle of getting quotes for a rewire and one of the sparks commented about some switches needing to be moved due to regs.

The house is 80+ years old. Will it not comply with the regs if the rewire is done and the location of existing switches/sockets remains?

I can understand that new switches/sockets need to comply but want clarity over whether existing ones can't be rewired unless they are moved to comply.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The IET/BSi regulations do not say where switches should be places, the building regulations give advice for positions for new build, but not for a rewire. All it says is.
53.1.6 A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug.

The requirements I assume you're looking at (switches low and sockets high) are only requirements for new builds.

Sponsored Links
As above. The height issue comes from Building Regulation Part M which deals with disabled access in NEW BUILD properties.
Note that part M also stipulates ramps, wider doorways for downstairs WCs etc. Ask your electrician if you need to comply with these as well!

EDIT look at the introduction to Part M. It clearly states
BD971C75-0839-471E-A41C-E350CE1A8539.jpeg
you are just having a rewire, not a new build, not a MATERIAL ALTERATION.

Last edited:
He is wrong. That is one quote you can bin.

I'd point out his error and explain exactly why he is wrong. If he doesn't then change his stance, I'd bin the quote and tell him why (If you can't get this right, what else will you get wrong?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back