If someone applied to you by Text Message.

What would you think if somebody applied to your plumbing business by text message?

• Hmm, a text, good idea, I'll give him a text back in a minute letting him know there is/isn't a vaca

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Thats a strange way of asking for a job, shall text him back in a moe.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • He hasn't even took the time to write me a letter... *delete message*

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Is this someone playing a prank on me?

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of applying to plumbing companies (small businesses) by text message, as it's a lot quicker and convenient.

This is open to people who don't own a plumbing business, just want people's general idea.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
To be honest mate, I would ring them first and then if they have any jobs (Won't say it!) write to them. Problem with text messages is you don't get the chance to present yourself. Good luck mate!

John, just spotted your previous post in which you've done what I've suggested. Don't know what to say apart from keep trying mate.

Sponsored Links
I favour texts above all other communications though emails are a close second because my blackberry never leaves my side.

Being honest i have never employed anyone from a letter, and feeling quite wrotten
I have to admit I have never replied to a letter.

If you get me on the phone and you make a good impression I would see you. A younger man phoned me about 4 years ago. He told me what experience he had and said the majic words "I just want you to give me a chance." He sounded hungry and keen. And indeed he was hungry and keen.

As an employer unless people are hungry after the first two weeks which is about as long as they can hold up the pretence, they become demotivated by our trade and expect to be paid money for old rope, which in their inexperienced mind they perceive we are making.

That lad proved to be everything he sounded like on the phone and has remained a faithful and loyal colleague who I would trust with all my money. He never stole a tool or even a blob of solder.

I have perhaps employed 5 people over the years every one of the others has stolen some nearly £1,000 worth, not to mention all the customers and jobs they rob off you, to do with your van and tools at the weekend, then they get blathered the day before they come to work with the money and walk round like a zombie all day.

In my experience the cv or the reference are not worth taking out to the netty to use instead of the torn up newspaper on the hook. The same goes for finding tenants for a flat. The better the paperwork the worse the person.

For me the telephone call is the best approach. If it diverts to answerphone don't even bother. If you just can't get through on phone send the text. "I am trying to phone you to talk about work, is there a time when
I can talk to you?"

When you get his time try to sound hungry. The best workers are the ones with commitments.

If you want a job doing ask a busy person. Don't come over as someone who is idling, make him aware you have been very busy doing this job for this friend or relative and so on. Sound active keen and hungry.

Paul, i would imagine you are in the minority here mate. Its not wrong, its how you would personally deal with job applicants.
But i reckon the vast majority would dismiss a text message almost instantly. It speaks of lazyness imho.
Taking the time to write a formal letter, or as you said, speak on the phone to form a good impression is the way to go.
Email? yeah sure , its akin to writing a letter nowadays anyways.

I just can't see texting someone a favourable method.
I certainly wouldn't entertain one, or if i did, i'd reply saying "please write or email in with all relevent details, thanks"

Either call, send an email or drop by for a face to face introduction.

Even better IMHO would be to find someone who can introduce you.

Couple of mixed opinions here, as I've already tried with letters to no success, I'm not going to proceed with texting but neither anymore letters, I'm gonna give 'em a ring!

Funny you say that Paul, "Better the paperwork, worse the person" because it took me 2 days to keep re-drafting that letter and CV until the English was perfect, and look were it's got me.

There maybe an assisstant engineers job going in the factory for machine maintenance which would be a nice little stop gap until I finish college (if I get no-were with the plumbing that is :( )

With the greatest of respect to anyone who works the tools AND is responsible for employing people, which basically means small firms like Paul's who is his own boss and employs people to work alongside him;

Those people are probably too busy to sit down and read application letters.

Larger firms have personnel for this task, be they PA's or HR or Personnel Managers.

I firmly beleive that the better your covering letter and cv are the better your chances of getting your foot in the door. THEN its your 'in person' demeanour that will take you further.
Sure you need to get to the door first and meeing in person is better, cold calling certainly isn't though.

Don't give up on the letter writing mate, maybe get better advice on your writing style and tailoring each letter/cv to the specific job your applying to.

In my opinion my cover letter and CV are both aimed directly to plumbing companys, it would not be able to be sent to any other trade/job.

I've re-drafted countless times don't think I can get it any better if I tried lol

I do agree with you on the letters that it is the best way, but it's a way I've tried and got nowhere with, so I'm kinda stumped on what I should be doing.

Might try and over take the government, become the tax man and take 50% for my wages muahaha :evil:

i read every letter or cv that comes to me. most end up in the bin, but some i keep, and i read all of them. I do get some people phone me up, normally at the most inconvenient time. I get the odd text message and they just get ignored. most are written in text speak or poorly worded, which makes me wonder how much effort they put in. As you say its more convenient, but my thoughts are who for? I instantly think youve written one message and texted it off to everyone at the same time.

i have had this method used on me, also emails too, i personally text, and email back asking for details and keep for future ref

I'd prefer email. It's free & easy and you can say much more and present yourself. Txts are a bit limited in that aspect, and texts and calls rely on the recipients patience and avaliable time- he might be too busy to take your call or hear you out. With letter/email he can look at his leisure.

Sponsored Links
Back