If you try bleeding a rad but nothing comes out...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... what does it mean? No air, no water. I thought one or the other had to come out?

I was bleeding an upstairs rad because it was cold at the top but hot at the bottom, and I thought this was because of trapped air. I did this whilst the CH was on. Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
If your cold feed pipe is blocked nothing will come out as no water will able to enter the system.

is bleed valve blocked with crud inside radiator.
i had similar problem.
turn off heating and hot water,electrically.
BEWARE...dont just try to see if it is blocked before turning off radiator at both ends.then protect walls and floor with old dustsheets,then take pin out,and use a strong needle to clear out any crud,be ready to put pin back in fast.dont panic.
failing that, 1.have you a presurised system ?.2.expansion tank ball valve seized closed. 3.any isolation valve between expansion tank and system connection,turned off. 4 worst situation is a blocked cold feed,where it enters system.
i have had all these faults in different houses i have had.

Is your system sealed?
If so and the pressure has dropped you will get nothing out until until you top it up.
pete

Sponsored Links
If its got a header tank in the loft check that the ballcock aint stuck :idea: before you start looking for blockages

Stan

Thanks for all the tips.

I checked the tank in the loft and there was plenty of water. In the end, all I had to do was bleed it again but with the heating and hot water OFF. Air came out as expected and the radiator is fine now.

I was a bit thrown the first time when nothing came out at all - didn't think that was possible! Anyway, all good now.

Good stuff
You should always bleed any system with the pump/heat off as it may draw air intoithe system.
pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back