If You Was Younger again, What Would Be The Job You'd Want To Do

I'd love to work in the Space Industries, NASA, JPL or SpaceX... fascinated by it.

Sponsored Links
Unless they were overweight and wearing a tight fitting tracksuit, or just looked a bit too poor and drive an old car?
Another case of Hummy having a poor memory with regards to his previous posts.

We had a military man come to our school. He gave us a chat about joining the armed forces, paying well, get to see the world.
I said no thanks when he spoke to me and one of my mates said that I was a great shot with the air rifle. He talked about being a sniper
and what I said to him and the look he gave me I recall to this day. I thought he was going to eat me alive. I said something like 'I don't want to be a sniper as it's a coward's type of job...' He gave me the look and I was petrified and blurted out I'd be a stretcher bearer. The dangerous look turned to a smile and put his hand on my shoulder and said 'son, no matter what you do, you'll be a credit to any profession.' It took me a while to work it out
and when I got home told my parents, that they were really proud of me. Anyone can be a sniper but to go into the front line pick up one of your team all shot/blown up and bullets and bombs come down and go back again takes real courage as opposed to hiding in a bush at one mile and shooting some poor conscript.

Sponsored Links
I'd love to work in the Space Industries, NASA, JPL or SpaceX... fascinated by it.

They allowed you into the building years ago and you could watch them make the space station from a walkway that was quite long and had windows in front at the NASA sapce centre Florida. All cahnged after 9/11.

Actually I dreamed about going to the moon and being an astronaut along with the train driver/intercity and BOAC pilot.

They allowed you into the building years ago and you could watch them make the space station from a walkway that was quite long and had windows in front at the NASA sapce centre Florida. All cahnged after 9/11.

Actually I dreamed about going to the moon and being an astronaut along with the train driver/intercity and BOAC pilot.

I watch streams of SpaceX launches like Falcon Heavy launch and I'm just jealous af of all those people in Mission Control cheering when all their plans, hardwork and teamwork come together in a glorious feat of engineering marvel.

I watch streams of SpaceX launches like Falcon Heavy launch and I'm just jealous af of all those people in Mission Control cheering when all their plans, hardwork and teamwork come together in a glorious feat of engineering marvel.

Never seen that but sound great.
We had an unepcted pleasant surprise when we were in Florida 11/12 years ago. They were flying the last time the sapce shuttles, and the last but one or something like that take off by this shuttle was due the day we arrived. We were not aware of this but as we drove to the glof course we were staying on the raido said flight delayed de to cloud cover or something flying tomorrow - it was the last flight for this partuclar shuttle - we went to bed about 2pm that night up at 4-30 we all got in the suv just t-shirts, shorts and sandals and arrive somewhere enar cocco beach i think it was called - it was morning and weather was lovely but better still the thousands of people their, the helicopters and the spped boats armed to the teeth with armed forces and army personeel patroling the roads it was like out of a moive - the shuttle took off as per plan that day soon after we were there - tv cams and private cams on top of vans/suvs it took off - it was a good few miles away, nothing grat until we heard the roar - it was awesome. TBH, I thought it had blown up and was considering diving under one of the suv's on the embankment but great memeory.

(When I was a kid, I dreamed about being a 125, intercity train driver and then a BOAC pilot)
That may have been quite difficult as BOAC stopped being an entity in 1974 and HST's were introduced from '76...
We've had a couple of 'events', live streaming a launch, when some of the technology we've built ends up in a satellite about to be sent into space!
Mostly it's a bit of an excuse for a drink in work time! ;)
But there is always palpable tension in the room, with the possibility of years worth of work exploding on the launch pad. :confused:
Luckily, so far, the launches have been successful! :)

As I read the posts here and post, I've noted it was not just what I wanted to be when I younger but my thoughts changed over the years

In summary, if I could time travel back to the age of 21, I'd be an Police officer as per my OP
When I was younger, I dreamt about being an Intercity tain driver and a pilot for BOAC as the co had many perks as we had family working as pilots and at their HQ and they were going on hols far afield when others only dreamt about them
At times I've though about being a teacher becuse of the weeks of hols and pay in London

Thankfully, the work I did before I took early retirement at just over 50 got me the ideal job of being able to take the car to work, do barely 35 hours, have plenty of hols/flexi time, work from home/office and get to see people in their homes and other settings - that too was a dream come true and never having to work weekends and rarely starting before 9/10 and often finished by 4 unless we were having a lol.

But the dream job remains as my OP if I was 21 again.

That may have been quite difficult as BOAC stopped being an entity in 1974 and HST's were introduced from '76...

We've had a couple of 'events', live streaming a launch, when some of the technology we've built ends up in a satellite about to be sent into space!
But there is always palpable tension in the room, with the possibility of years worth of work exploding on the launch pad. :confused:

When I was a kid, dreamt about it - posted again before you saw it.
It was only BOAC and I recall the time we drove to heatrow airport and saw Concorde land.
It was a dream about

Sorry, are you saying you worked on site and was part of it?

That’s really cool mate. I can imagine the tension … think what the James Webb Space Telescope team must have been feeling after 10 years and $10 billion watching that lift-off. I was nervous and I never tightened a nut on the thing.

Sorry, are you saying you worked on site and was part of it?
I work in a department where some groups within the department develop space intrumentation. When these instruments end up on, for example, a space telescope - a department wide launch party is inevitable! :)

Well, it's difficult, because if I did stuff different I wouldn't have the family I have, but I did attempt to join the force in 1983. I failed a written exam, and didn't re-sit.

Regret it now. If I'd done the minimum 25 years, I'd have retired in 2008 and could have been doing a far less stressful job.

Hey-ho, such is life.

Sponsored Links
Back