As Parents Would You Be Shocked If You Children/Family Told You They Were Gay???

Reading through some of the posts again, thread is going OT as most do after a few posts.
Please stick to the topic if you can, IE would you report online homophobic comments, innuendos.
IRL as per my first post, would you report challenge above comments if safe to do so.

I guess a lot depends on if it's safe, you feel safe who is being abused, the settings etc..

At a couple of the places I worked at especially council settings years ago we often
went on training and I recall from a good thirty years ago about not challenging
bad behaviour at works makes you bad as them and that has stuck in my mind.
I guess as you grow older see more life experiences you become wiser in
most cases but clearly not all judging by some of the comments I have read.

Sponsored Links
The truth is racism and homophobia is rife on the internet and more interestingly , behind closed doors . unfortunately for the subjects of homophobia and racism there’s nothing that can be done about it ,and nothing thst can be done about peoples personal opinions. That will never change. Even more unfortunate is the way that the victims of such behaviour try to get inside the homes and minds of the people who hold these thoughts , which just alienates them further.

I don't agree with that. I agree that its difficult to get people to change, but personal opinions do change as the culture changes. It just takes a long time and trying to force people to change entrenches opinions and can make it worse in the short term.

When i was at school in the early 80's, homophobia was normal and while racism wasn't tolerated in schools, my parents were still casually racist.

By the 90's, i had non white friends, and my parents generation where no longer telling the same racists jokes. Homophobia was still normal, and calling someone gay was a perfectly acceptable insult.

30 years on, my son's class is a mix of a number of races, and he is pretty much colour blind to it. He understands there are differences, but more down to culture than colour of skin. Homophobia isn't tolerated in schools in any form, and i'm not quite sure what my 11 year old son's take on it is as he's only just starting to understand there's a difference, but i've never heard him call someone gay as an insult.

My group of friends (late 40s-early 50s) remember the learnt prejudices from when we were young, but know that its not acceptable to make homophobic jokes etc or discriminate against someone on the grounds of their sexuality. Personally, i still find it repulsive to see men kissing in public, but i wouldn't not offer someone a job or discriminate in other ways against someone on the grounds of their sexuality. Consequently, i avoid situations where i'm likely to see the sort of thing that i don't like eg tv programmes or gay bars. But i accept it's my problem, not theirs.

Its taken a long time for culture to change to that point.

The next battle ground is going to be the trans debate. I do not agree that a man can claim to be women, just by saying that they feel like one. I do not agree that children should be allowed to undergo any kind of gender reassignment treatment until they have turned 18. I am genuinely concerned that this current push to educate children about gender fluidity just confuses them more when they're already going through a puberty and finding out about how they fit in their own, changing, bodies and the world around them. I am concerned that in 20 years time, we'll have created a very confused generation where the whole pro trans movement has created more problems than its solved.

Do i think that general view will change in the next 20-30 years? Probably.

Will my view change in that time? Probably a bit.

Will the current generation of kids have different views to me when they get to my age? Definitely.

Last edited:
Reading through some of the posts again, thread is going OT as most do after a few posts.
Please stick to the topic if you can, IE would you report online homophobic comments, innuendos.
IRL as per my first post, would you report challenge above comments if safe to do so.
No, the 'topic' is "would you be shocked if your children/family told you they were gay".

My answer is YES. Would you like to know why or are you going to ignore that response as well as the other question I have asked?>

I mean, why start a thread if you are going to be selective about which posts you are going to respond to? I've not asked anything out of order, have I?

I don't agree with that. I agree that its difficult to get people to change, but personal opinions do change as the culture changes. It just takes a long time and trying to force people to change entrenches opinions and can make it worse in the short term.

When i was at school in the early 80's, homophobia was normal and while racism wasn't tolerated in schools, my parents were still casually racist.

By the 90's, i had non white friends, and my parents generation where no longer telling the same racists jokes. Homophobia was still normal, and being calling someone gay was a perfectly acceptable insult.

30 years on, my son's class is a mix of a number of races, and he is pretty much colour blind to it. He understands there are differences, but more down to culture than colour of skin. Homophobia isn't tolerated in schools in any form, and i'm not quite sure what my 11 year old son's take on it is as he's only just starting to understand there's a difference, but i've never heard him call someone gay as an insult.

My group of friends (late 40s-early 50s) remember the learnt prejudices from when we were young, but know that its not acceptable to make homophobic jokes etc or discriminate against someone on the grounds of their sexuality. Personally, i still find it repulsive to see men kissing in public, but i wouldn't not offer someone a job or discriminate in other ways against someone on the grounds of their sexuality. Consequently, i avoid situations where i'm likely to see the sort of thing that i don't like eg tv programmes or gay bars. But i accept it's my problem, not theirs.

Its taken a long time for culture to change to that point.

The next battle ground is going to be the trans debate. I do not agree that a man can claim to be women, just by saying that they feel like one. I do not agree that children should be allowed to undergo any kind of gender reassignment treatment until they have turned 18. I am genuinely concerned that this current push to educate children about gender fluidity just confuses them more when they're already going through a puberty and finding out about how they fit in their own, changing, bodies and the world around them. I am concerned that in 20 years time, we'll have created a very confused generation where the whole pro trans movement has created more problems than its solved.

Do i think that general view will change in the next 20-30 years? Probably.

Will my view change in that time? Probably a bit.

Will the current generation of kids have different views to me when they get to my age? Definitely.

A very good post.

We all experience different life events and how we handle them

I agree with almost everything you and Godwasaplaster.

Older people will recall the age of consent being changed and it was unlawful years ago and more recently the marriages.

Nothing should be forced on people but we must respect the law.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
So when homosexual acts were illegal, we should have respected the law and agreed that they should be locked up?

I've always respected the law as does my family etc.
It is up to you to have decided if you what you should have done and if you were unhappy with the law at the time you should have demonstrated against it.

As Parents Would You Be Shocked If You Children/Family Told You They Were Gay???

So Hummy, what did your parents say when you told them? Were they shocked?

The physical action to which you refer though, is not necessarily included in, or excluded from, any relationship.

Last edited:
Hummy's gone quiet. Off in a huff?
If you don't like the answers you know you're going to get, don't ask the questions.

It's interesting that he didn't answer my question about how his own parents reacted when he told them.

It's interesting that he didn't answer my question about how his own parents reacted when he told them.
It's also interesting that he's removed his signature/disclaimer. It said something like 'posts that he decides are not worthy of his answer will be ignored'. Basically, a cop-out from answering telling questions.

I had a French mate who identified as a toad.

I have to be honest I wouldn't know the difference.

Sponsored Links
Back