Bullying at work, Help/Advice

Reaction score
Country
Palau
Hi
A nephew of mine is experiencing bullying at work.
He is relatively young ie his early 20's.
It's an office environment small firm. The bullying is the worse type IMO where a manager/boss
is the bully and thinks it's ok to take the **** out of his staff by various ways to humiliate staff
and has his sidekick that lol whenever he does something like that.

I've had first-hand experience of being bullied at work when I was very early 20's left it was the manager and her cronies and this happened again at another place, much larger place and it took me a while to determine if I was being bullied or just poor at my job I was in my late 20's at the time 27-ish

A good friend and I went out for a drink and he told me how he felt when I told him and it was before the days of the net and we came up with a plan but it took guts, masses of stress at times we felt like leaving as the lead bully got their cronies onto us - thankfully great union guy.

NB: Be aware that if you join in the lol when someone is being humiliated/mocked at work by anyone inc the owner/managers/etc and you do nothing about it, it could be you next and more importantly, you are contributing to the nasty atmosphere by doing nothing and this will inevitably leade to others suffering and possibly you being the next target.

Bully takes many forms and its not just knocking off someones hat etc.

EG
  • excluding and ignoring people and their contribution
  • overloading people with work
  • spreading malicious rumours
  • Being mocked
  • unfair treatment
  • picking on or regularly undermining someone
  • telling off staff in front of others
  • denying someone's training or promotion opportunities
  • harassment face to face, phone, email, social media
  • mocking you age. sex. sexual orientation, clothing you wear

There are lots of other ways.

I've told him to keep a diary and make concise points re incidents, date, times and who witnesses it and what happend. People he has reported this to and speak to the union.

I've also told him to contact ACAS in confidence as one of our children had a poor experience with the owner of the firm where he and his cronies felt women were up for it and if you rejected their advances you did not just have the blokes bullying you but women as well, possibly because they feared for their own job. Our child was going to leave having tried the personnel dept etc and witnesses to fearful to state the facts we understood that. They marched her out of the building saying they were to fire them a lie. Our child got our help inc my ex and family got onto ACAS and presented them with the facts as our child had records of when it happened and who she reported it to then by chance they met someone else that had been so-called fired who went through the same ****. The bastards settled out of court.

So, other than keep records, report, (has talked to bully but they lol it off "bit of fun") and having contacted a "useless union rep" they will contact ACAS Monday.

Is there anything else??

FYI - This nephew is highly qualifed, very quiet, smartly dressed, excellent timekeeping/etc/etc and a bit shy, hardly says anything and to confirm their good work record glowing, really glowing reference from previous 2 employers in the same field. This one was closer to home and paid more, ie 15/20 mins walk from home no catching the train etc they love the type of work.

Many thanks

PS: I've told him, don't leave, don't retaliate but I understand how they want to leave as I've been there and its easy to leave.

Sponsored Links
I had a fella at work who would bully me with his jokes/comments....

Working with him and another fella one day I nearly burnt his head with a blow torch while he was kneeling down.....

He started screaming at me and threatened to knock my head off........

That was it I took my boots off and told him to get the fùck up as I was going to bash him up..... he wouldn't get on his feet.... he stayed on his knees until I walked off...

Sponsored Links
I had a fella at work who would bully me with his jokes/comments....

Working with him and another fella one day I nearly burnt his head with a blow torch while he was kneeling down.....

He started screaming at me and threatened to knock my head off........

That was it I took my boots off and told him to get the fùck up as I was going to bash him up..... he wouldn't get on his feet.... he stayed on his knees until I walked off...

That is not the way forward IMHO

When I was being bullied and the day I left, I wanted to kick the bullies/groups' teeth into the back of the necks and thankfully did not. My lines of work have meant I need an impeccable, crime-free work record and my conscience would not allow it but it was my upbringing that told me not to.

Violence has no place in society and two wrongs never make a right, fact. Another important factor is that I would not attack anyone first is I despise soiling my hands with the dirt as **** sticks.

If you are being bullied, speak to the bully if appropriate as they may genuinely not be aware that they are causing you distress/upset. If they carry on, report them to personnel. Smaller workplaces are the worse and even those that belong to well-known names. Smaller units of work often mean that there is a group of people there set in their ways and if one or more feel your face does not fit or one of their family/friends did not get the job you got, it often leads to problems.

With age comes experience but even older people suffer abuse/bullying.

I jsut remembered you can as I did take in an advocate with you this can be a workmate, your supervisor etc as long as they are not directly involved. Get someone to take minutes of the meetings and ensure you proof read them before you sign them and ensure the essentials are in there

Btw, I've meet a few younger people that go onto Facebook etc and slag off their employer and often their Facebook is shared with people they work with - a sure fire way of getting fired.

Keep calm, record events take it step by step. Seek guidance from Unions/Acas/Family/friends, co-workers/personnel etc etc

If he has been with the company long enough, all he has to do is keep a diary of the bullying and record stuff if possible. If he can stick another 6 months, this will show that is not just the odd jibe, but a sustained campaign of bullying.

Then he can go to his manager and tell him he is going to leave and claim constructive dismissal.

If he is a union member, he can talk to them. He does not have to talk to anyone within his company if that is awkward, he could chat to head office and ask advice.

Once the tribunal is over, wouldn't it be embarrassing if the footage somehow found its way onto You Tube/ FB/ etc after you left your unlocked phone in the pub?

Having your incompetence pointed out & attempting to engage with you to suggest a path towards improvement . . . . IS NOT BULLYING.

Hi
A nephew of mine is experiencing bullying at work.
He is relatively young ie his early 20's.
It's an office environment small firm. The bullying is the worse type IMO where a manager/boss
is the bully and thinks it's ok to take the **** out of his staff by various ways to humiliate staff
and has his sidekick that lol whenever he does something like that.

I've had first-hand experience of being bullied at work when I was very early 20's left it was the manager and her cronies and this happened again at another place, much larger place and it took me a while to determine if I was being bullied or just poor at my job I was in my late 20's at the time 27-ish

A good friend and I went out for a drink and he told me how he felt when I told him and it was before the days of the net and we came up with a plan but it took guts, masses of stress at times we felt like leaving as the lead bully got their cronies onto us - thankfully great union guy.

NB: Be aware that if you join in the lol when someone is being humiliated/mocked at work by anyone inc the owner/managers/etc and you do nothing about it, it could be you next and more importantly, you are contributing to the nasty atmosphere by doing nothing and this will inevitably leade to others suffering and possibly you being the next target.

Bully takes many forms and its not just knocking off someones hat etc.

EG
  • excluding and ignoring people and their contribution
  • overloading people with work
  • spreading malicious rumours
  • Being mocked
  • unfair treatment
  • picking on or regularly undermining someone
  • telling off staff in front of others
  • denying someone's training or promotion opportunities
  • harassment face to face, phone, email, social media
  • mocking you age. sex. sexual orientation, clothing you wear

There are lots of other ways.

I've told him to keep a diary and make concise points re incidents, date, times and who witnesses it and what happend. People he has reported this to and speak to the union.

I've also told him to contact ACAS in confidence as one of our children had a poor experience with the owner of the firm where he and his cronies felt women were up for it and if you rejected their advances you did not just have the blokes bullying you but women as well, possibly because they feared for their own job. Our child was going to leave having tried the personnel dept etc and witnesses to fearful to state the facts we understood that. They marched her out of the building saying they were to fire them a lie. Our child got our help inc my ex and family got onto ACAS and presented them with the facts as our child had records of when it happened and who she reported it to then by chance they met someone else that had been so-called fired who went through the same ****. The bastards settled out of court.

So, other than keep records, report, (has talked to bully but they lol it off "bit of fun") and having contacted a "useless union rep" they will contact ACAS Monday.

Is there anything else??

FYI - This nephew is highly qualifed, very quiet, smartly dressed, excellent timekeeping/etc/etc and a bit shy, hardly says anything and to confirm their good work record glowing, really glowing reference from previous 2 employers in the same field. This one was closer to home and paid more, ie 15/20 mins walk from home no catching the train etc they love the type of work.

Many thanks

PS: I've told him, don't leave, don't retaliate but I understand how they want to leave as I've been there and its easy to leave.
Funnily enough I mentioned something like that on here - racial bullying - but because it was black on white, it wasn't believed.

8FCA9A88-55D7-4259-A2AE-F09CD114B350.jpeg

And guess who was one of the non-believers? None other that Dork Lard under his previous screen name of Brigade77

5D27D23C-93CF-4E4C-A0E5-652DB7108032.jpeg

I totally agree. I'm not a bully but was
pushed just that little bit too much...... I took alot of shįt off him before I eventually got aggressive.
Thank you
When we are younger and I'm guessing you are talking about when you were younger it is tempting to do that as I nearly did and posted about in this thread.
Thanks for your help.

If he has been with the company long enough, all he has to do is keep a diary of the bullying and record stuff if possible. If he can stick another 6 months, this will show that is not just the odd jibe, but a sustained campaign of bullying.

Then he can go to his manager and tell him he is going to leave and claim constructive dismissal.

If he is a union member, he can talk to them. He does not have to talk to anyone within his company if that is awkward, he could chat to head office and ask advice.

Thank you - he has been there for about 9 months I think. The stress is doing him in and he looked gaunt hence my question to him is he was ok.
Re your other post re posting the evidence, lol but no thanks leads to more trouble and distress imo.

Re one of our children - it was stressful and I actually told her to leave and then I told her to leave it after she got fired as per my thread as she handed in her notice and marched out but she is a fighter and becuse of the distress, I, my ex her mum and her sibling got togethr a plan and with the help of ACAS and an ex memeber of staff who suffered in a similar wy they settled out of court a few days before it was going to court then asty b's tried everything to stop her and the extra stress and upset. Any bullying now, she will ask that perosn for a one to one and be polite about what they feel and any misunderstands then stop or sorted.

As I type it takes me back to my days of being bullied and it is often by mangers etc and their cronies as often they feel threatened by you for being better at the job than them and like any good coward they bully you as they feel inadqaute.

Having your incompetence pointed out & attempting to engage with you to suggest a path towards improvement . . . . IS NOT BULLYING.

Which thread are you referring to as it's clearly not this one.

The "incompetence" and weakness is often on the bulies side and that is a fact.

My children are now managers as is my ex and my current OH. You will get staff inc managers of varying ability to deal with the work and staff

My ex, if she sees someone not up to the job or doing wrong she would never belittle them and call them in and see what the problem was and if trianing etc required.

You are talking nonesens TBH

They pull the bully card as easily as they pull the racist card out these days.

I'm thankfully now out of the management circus, but I do remember it slowly becoming just an exercise in how to beat the tribunal in points of pointless law.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the fire. Business cannot succeed if it is staffed by weaklings

Sponsored Links
Back