Iffy pilot flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old Baxi Solo 50/4 PF that has developed a really large pilot flame. Noticed this a couple of weeks after having a new Gas Valve fitted. The firm who fitted it have been asked to re-visit but the engineer failed to turn up once & failed to call me back 3 times now so I have given up on them. Got another Corgi guy in who said pilot was clear of obstructions and thought maybe an injector part had been mislaid. He reckoned boiler was OK to use but I'm still worried as the flame is very large & bright and looks to me like its sooting up the surrounding area (eg.inspection glass), plus there's a strange smell when the boiler's lit ( and it isn't me!).
1) Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
2) Is it safe to use?

Sponsored Links
Never worked on a solo but would imagine the pilot can be adjusted, can not remember ever having seen a boiler with a permanent pilot that could not be set.
Yellow flame indicates carbon monoxide, big no no.
Call CORGI asap, tell them that you are concerned with the safety of the work and they should have an inspector out in no time. If it turns out to be cowboy work, he will be forced to correct it. for free.

looks to me like its sooting up the surrounding area (eg.inspection glass), plus there's a strange smell when the boiler's lit ( and it isn't me!).

2) Is it safe to use?

turn it off and get it checked, soot means CO smell may mean a leak

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advise guys. It's staying off till I can get someone round to give it a good checking over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back