Ignoring The Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a job the other day where there were a few things the installer had done to make life easier for himself, all the while frightening the customer into submission by threatening great mess to the decor if he couldn't do the job "his" way.

The PEB's were in a cupboard, well remote from the stopcock or meter.

(You don't want your freshly tiled bathroom spoiled, do you?)

He did not say, "I can run it outside in conduit, then we can comply with the regs and save your decor."

The CU was an RCD-incomer only, as a compliant unit would not fit into the cabinet (or the customer would not pay for RCBO's).

(It'll look very ugly)

He did not say, " I can relocate the CU to the other side of the wall."

There was no shower isolation switch.

(You don't need one, the CU is nearby)

He did not say, "I can put one in a cupboard even closer to the shower."

Best of all, I saw a MWC (miracle!!) that said plain as day, "Agreed with customer to put MEB in cupboard so as not to disturb decoration."

In the "departures" box, nothing...

He claimed NIC membership. I noted the defects, informed the customer & left the decision with them.

Sponsored Links
I've been subcontracted to builders who have expected me to do the very same as the spark in your post has done.

You can either have something done to regs from me or find someone who will contravene them.

Simple as. Don't for a second agree with it, as I know by complying with BS7671 I have taken every reasonable step to prevent danger arising as a result of a fixed electrical installation, and I can sleep at night .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back