IKEA Ektorp sofa/sofa-bed.

Reaction score
Country
France
I want to buy some new furniture and had a test sit on an Ektorp sofa at friends' house. Very comfortable and they say it has lasted well over number of years.

I also want to buy a sofa-bed and the Ektorp is available like that too. Another friend tells me that sofa-beds are generally less comfortable than the "pure" sofa version because of less cushioning material.

Can anyone tell me if this is true about this model ?

Thanks.

P.S. Nearest store about 150 km so cannot easily just go and try.

Sponsored Links
We have had Ikea Ektorp 2 seater and 3 seater sofas in our lounge for 10 years. They are well made, and with several cats, it is a help that all the covers are removable and machine washable. The covers have taken a hammering from the hooligan moggies, but are still in good nick, the structure of the sofas is as good as new. We may invest in a new set of covers. We find them very comfortable, and were good value for money. The only niggle is that the filling in the back cushions is not very dense, so after every couple of days of use, these cushions tend to sag a bit and need plumping up. However, they may have addressed this problem by now,

I remember trying the sofa-bed version in Ikea when we bought our sofas, and not being so impressed with the comfort. In common with many sofa-beds, the mechanism takes up a lot of space in the base that would normally be extra padding in the sofa. The bottom cushions felt much harder.

If you don't really need a sofa-bed, you are better off with the sofa in terms of comfort. They're good value for money, and stand up to years of hard use very well.

Girlfriends had one for 10 years - really good sofa - that's why they still sell them.

Sponsored Links
Girlfriends had one for 10 years - really good sofa - that's why they still sell them.

So what are they like for a quick how'syourfather on then Joe?
Or are you still waiting to find out. :LOL:

It's only a two seater. She's got a four seater that's better for that. ;)

Anyone tell me the overall dimensions unfolded ? Not in the catalogue and Ikea slow in replying.

Thanks

FYI Ikea mailed yesterday. they don't have that info on file anywhere and so had to measure the bed and it is 244 cm unfolded.

Strange. You would think that would be a really obvious dimension to include in the spec.

Sponsored Links
Back