IKEA kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a kitchen from IKEA but had not realised that the units would not allow for pipes running along the wall behind the units. My solution is to bring the units forward enough to accomodate the pipes etc, then I will screw a thick board, supported on battens to the wall between the base and wall units which will be tiled as well.
:?: Is this a better idea than adding extra inches to the back of the worktop, or cutting holes in the back of the units or digging a channel into the wall to hide the pipes?

Sponsored Links
Modify your base units by bringing the back panel forward, then you can cut out the back to allow for piping. Easier and better than other solutions.

The only downside is, you will lose a bit of storage area.

I only ever use 650/660 worktops, as jasonb says. Cures all sorts of problems, plus you get a bigger worktop.

Sponsored Links
I also bought an IKEA kitchen, but found that the only solution is to re-route the plumbing to the foot of the wall near the floor. That's where the service area is for the plumbing. If you also bought an IKEA work-top you will notice that its width is not sufficient to accomodate a gap between the units and the wall.

Maybe I should reroute the plumbing, the worktop is too narrow to hide it and I don't want to start cutting bits out of the back of the cabinets, I think they will loose their structural integrity. So far no-one objects to my plan of packing out the tiles so I'm 90% sure thats the way I'll go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back