Ikea mixer tap very tight to turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchased and installed an Ikea mixer tap a couple of years ago and the warranty has now expired. This tap started to get very tight to turn and the white washer was protruding from the third pivot from top as shown in the picture. Can the tap be taken apart and the washer replaced?

[GALLERY=media, 12045][/GALLERY]

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
IIRC the spout on them taps is usually held in place by a threaded ring between the bottom of the spout and the sink, so you need to take the thing off the sink to get at it.

The small plastic red/blue circle may be able to be removed, and there may a screw underneath this that can be removed and the tap head lifted off.....?

Ikea taps and budget price B&Q all suffer the same problems. I'm afraid that they are cheap and nasty, difficult to service and impossible to get spares for in most cases. I am constantly replacing these things for customers after about 2 or 3 years of use.

If you intend to to live in your house for a few years, bin the tap and get something decent like Hansgrohe brand. They are a pleasure to use, are built to last, and if they do go wrong the manufacturer can supply new spares.

OK they cost a bit more, but cheap taps are always a false economy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those who replied.

I dismantled the tap but unfortunately was unable to get to the seized part of the tap.

Can anyone recommend a good quality single lever tap, similar to the one in my photo.

regards

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back