Kitchen Mixer Tap Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the Mixer Tap in my Kitchen. The Cold Tap seems to be slipping and won't turn off with a single turn.
Is this just a washer that needs replacing or do I need a whole new tap?

If its just a washer how do I open the tap? I have done this years ago but forgot what I did lol.

Here is a picture of the Mixer Tap. Thanks :)

mixer tap2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Prise off the white cap with the blue ring around it. There is a screw beneath to remove. Then the handle pulls off to reveal the valve ,which screws out using a spanner.
The spout looks to be cracked ,low down. If it is ,it's probably new tap time .

Is it just a Washer inside? I have a box of standard Tap ones I think.

Sponsored Links
That does look very much like a Hygena tap from the 90s but no sign of the O ring going so if you can live with that split in the coating there's life in it yet :)

I took the cover off as today it stopped working. The screw that goes inside was loose. I have tightened it up and it seems to be working for now. :)

Just for reference what part do I look for if this does not work?

Here is a picture of the tap with the head off. Thanks

Attachments

• Tap 2.jpg
    Tap 2.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 49
Could be thread/cog on the tap head itself wearing down. Looks like you deserve a new tap.
That was my thought also. I would never get a sink with Mixer Taps again. For one thing they don't work with a garden hose or pressure washer. I have tried adapters but no luck. I will wait and see if its ok before getting new tap.

Last edited:
That does look very much like a Hygena tap from the 90s but no sign of the O ring going so if you can live with that split in the coating there's life in it yet :)
It could well be lol. The Bar Sink? the small sink next to the big one also needs fixed but that is for another day LOL.

I took the cover off as today it stopped working. The screw that goes inside was loose. I have tightened it up and it seems to be working for now. :)

Just for reference what part do I look for if this does not work?

Here is a picture of the tap with the head off. Thanks

Any Ideas? thanks.

"I have a problem with the Mixer Tap in my Kitchen. The Cold Tap seems to be slipping and won't turn off with a single turn.
Is this just a washer that needs replacing or do I need a whole new tap?

If its just a washer how do I open the tap? I have done this years ago but forgot what I did lol.

Here is a picture of the Mixer Tap. Thanks"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is now a bigger problem than what I have quoted above from the first post of this thread.

The old problem of the Screw has come back. This time when I tighten the screw It does not stay tight or if it does I get no water when Cold Tap head is turned. The Hot Tap works fine its the Cold Tap that's the problem one

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? thanks

Its possible that the inner piston has backed off too far on the thread causing your problem.
Isolate supply, spanner on the hex bit you've shown in the pic, wind it out and lets see what is what.

How much would this be for a Plumber to fix? Any Ideas? Thanks

I have never replaced Inserts, pistons etc so have no idea what to buy or how to do this.

Fit a new tap ,yours isn't worth fratting about with. It would probably cost more in plumbers time to effect a repair/ source replacement valve ,even if you can find a plumber who can be bothered to even attempt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back