Illegal cabling(?) and strange box

Hopefully, they'll run it under the floor as at present

To do that will require the installation of a 32mm2 alkathene pipe by yourself.

As I say go for a viewing cabinet close to the existing CU which will contain the DNO main fuse and the meter.
Then (depending on length, Max tail length is 3 metres) meter tails direct to the CU or a sw/fuse in a second cabinet or in the room behind with a sub main to the CU.

I'd be happy with that. I assume that the cabinet could be on the outside of the wall at the front of the house, but presume that they would need to run a supply cable under our front garden which, again, I'd be happy with.

I know that gas suppliers can run new mains underground using a 'mole' in order to avoid digging trenches (they did some in our area a few weeks ago). Do the DNOs use the same method?

Sponsored Links
Well, I've left it for over a month since I last contacted them and they promised to call me back. They didn't.
The guy I spoke to today promised to call me back this afternoon. He didn't either! :LOL:

Of course, I realise that it isn't exactly an emergency and the situation isn't dangerous (yet!), but I would have expected some sort of reassurance from them along the lines of:
"We are very busy at the moment and yours is a low priority. You are 897th in line and we expect to be able to address your problem within the next five years"! I'm joking, of course.

I continue to live in hope. :D

Did you sort this out at the same time?

Looks like the two legs of the ring from the original low level socket have been terminated into one JB then extended from to one socket (OK) then from there to the other (Not OK).

Did you sort this out at the same time?

Looks like the two legs of the ring from the original low level socket have been terminated into one JB then extended from to one socket (OK) then from there to the other (Not OK).

Yes, I was sure it wasn't correct, but then the longer we live here the more bodging jobs I come across. The previous owner was called Roger (the bodger).

All sorted now, though. I thought that the JB at the bottom joined two bits of a ring, and this proved to be correct. We got in an electrician (but I was seriously thinking of doing the job myself if one wasn't available in time - I was sure I could manage it!) He went 'mining' under the floor to re-join the ring: he told me that was better than doing it above the floor, presumably because it would be 'more accessible' than behind a new fitted unit - and connected a new length of T&E to the new JB, ran it up the wall to the left hand socket shown, added a protective metal cover, and removed the right hand socket and cable, which would have been inside a new wardrobe and not particularly useful. He also plastered over the chasing and filled the void left by the right hand socket which, incidentally, wasn't actually screwed to the wall behind - Roger again!

BTW, I had a call from the DNO today - the Project Organiser. He didn't actually give me any idea of when the job might be done but said he'd like to come and have a look at things.
I told him that I'd have to lift the new carpet I'd put down over the site of the old (present) cast iron junction box if he needed to inspect that area, and told him that both I and his colleague who visited on 30 March had taken photos of the area. Apparently, his colleague's photos weren't very good (!) and he hadn't seen the ones I had e-mailed to them so asked me to e-mail them to him directly. I hope they serve his purposes but, if not, I'll just have to lift the carpet. Not a big deal.
Anyway, I requested that rather than replacing the existing box, cables and cast iron conduit, I'd prefer a new connection to the side of the house just outside the existing meter and CU, if that is possible. He did say that there would have to be some digging, which I'd expect, but I hope the wife won't be too angry if the front garden acquires a new trench. I haven't told her yet! :eek:

Sponsored Links
A site visit by the DNO has been arranged for next Wednesday.

For anyone interested (?!) I'll post details of the outcome.

Wheels have been turning... slowly.
Today, we nearly had some work done. A gentleman from ENWL arrived at 0820 (whilst I was in the shower!), but decided he couldn't do anything after all because the sub-contractor (Part P qualified) for the interior work was not due to come for a couple of weeks. He kept stressing that he can't do any connections because 'we can't have TWO supplies' (I know that).

Actually, I'm looking forward to the external work, when it happens, as I've never seen people working on live underground cables. :eek: (It's OK. I know how to do CPR!)

I await further developments.

Enjoy!
I spent the day locating a fault on an 11kV cable (successfully) and missing seeing the Red Arrows

Seen one Red Arrow you've seen nine. :D

I've sat in the pilots seat and rear gunners seat of a Lancaster! (And got the photo's to prove it. :p )

Got photos of one of the BBMF Spitfires though!
They were over my house last weekend. And the Lancaster.

Also saw (having first heard) one of the Typhoons, but nothing else.

It wouldn't have been the Lancaster, (Thumper), she has been grounded for about 6 weeks due to an engine fire coming in to land at RAF Conningsby. Possibly a Dakota, which is standing in for Thumper at air shows, or maybe a B17 called Memphis Belle which also tours the air shows. B17 is quite similar in design to the Lancaster to an untrained observer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back