Illegal downloading?

I

imamartian

Apologies if this has been done before, but i did search and couldn't find an answer to this....

If i've owned an album (on vinyl say) in the past, is it illegal if i download it from the net now without paying, in order to get it digitally?

And if so, why?

Sponsored Links
Because you aren't paying for it. (Even though you have bought a copy once)

surely i can record a vinyl album on to cassette tape as many times as i like for free..... therefore if i have the album in my loft, and download it from the net onto my ipod.... how am i disadvataging (?) the artist?

Sponsored Links
I can't personally recomend one as it's something I don't do a lot of, I buy the CD copy it and put on my phone/walkman/mp3.
but I did see this whilst I was bored, but maybe taking advise from more experienced users, would be wise.
http://www.ez-tracks.com/

Because when an album is 'Digitally Re-Mastered' the performer gets royalties from the re-make.
What you suggest doing is piracy if you download off a free site.
You can download from a registered 'pay for' site such as SKY or maybe even the BBC.
The other possible alternative is to transfer your original copy to your PC then find/buy a programme that will digitally remaster it for you.
Which ever method you choose you cannot make copies to pass on to family/friends. ;)

Thats a massive grey area to cover..if you have a load of covers of '60's songs, and someone releases a compilation, that includes all the songs you already have? You are downloading a new album, but if you already own a 45 and it got scratched, and won't play, where to stand? You own the material, on computer games, it states if the disk is damaged, pay xxx for production costs, and we will send you a replacement. But no production costs downloading it.

I know someone that downloaded Windows7, but it has to be registered to work, and entered their origional key, nothing wrong with the download, and entered a legit key, just from a different source, and FAST knocked on his door, and prosecuted him.

Legal landmine.

I know someone that downloaded Windows7, but it has to be registered to work, and entered their origional key, nothing wrong with the download, and entered a legit key, just from a different source, and FAST knocked on his door, and prosecuted him.

That's because he was stupid when he downloaded it.

That's a stupid comment, as it isn't illegal to download Windows7. Anyone can download it, that isn't illegal. You can have Win7 on floppy disk, CD, or download it, but when it comes to the verify screen, a legit version is legal, the media it came from is irrelevent. To own the original, then get a backup by any means, doesn't mean he was stupid.

That's a stupid comment, as it isn't illegal to download Windows7.

I think you'll find it's illegal to distribute the media to people without a valid license..

You can have Win7 on floppy disk, CD

Oh no you can't.

To own the original, then get a backup by any means, doesn't mean he was stupid.

He was pretty stupid to get caught.

That's a stupid comment, as it isn't illegal to download Windows7.

I think you'll find it's illegal to distribute the media to people without a valid license..

You can have Win7 on floppy disk, CD

Oh no you can't.

To own the original, then get a backup by any means, doesn't mean he was stupid.

He was pretty stupid to get caught.

He downloaded Win7 from Windows website, he had a valid license, he was told by microsoft where to download it from, what are you talking about?

Why do you post if you know nothing?

He downloaded Win7 from Windows website, he had a valid license, he was told by microsoft where to download it from, what are you talking about?

Why do you post about a legal download, without mentioning it being legal, in a thread about illegal downloading? And why, exactly, did you bring up floppies and CDs?

And I find it very unlikely that FAST would get involved, as they'd have no reason to be monitoring him. Nor would anybody else.

Why do you post about a legal download, without mentioning it being legal, in a thread about illegal downloading? And why, exactly, did you bring up floppies and CDs?

Because the media is irrelevant, wherever you get the media is irrelevant, and I mentioned an illegal download, time to read threads properly, rather than breeze over them. Can you READ rather than skim, and digest what's written? Or is your brain too small to small to accept data? Read and understand, before posting crap and conjecture,.

Because the media is irrelevant, wherever you get the media is irrelevant

Wrong, illegally obtaining media is illegal.

and I mentioned an illegal download, time to read threads properly, rather than breeze over them.

Not in relation to Windows 7 and FAST you didn't.

Sponsored Links
Back