I'm buying a new boiler - is this a good choice?

My Alpha experience taught me to like the band a giannonis. The only issue I have with them all is the sludge worry. Anyone who attaches one to to a sludged system is an absolute fool.

I agree but this country is full of fools and idiots, BG employ a few thousand of em.

Sponsored Links
Yes the majority of Giannoni based designs are not fitted with magnaclean or equivalent. Plenty of boiler swaps down the road as the heat exchanger is such an expensive part. Although strangely I only got £8 stainless steal scrap value for one.

if you want a decent boiler, stick a ATAG of a VIESSMANN in. forget the rest.

Viessman are nothing special, many are far better. Atag I can't comment on as I'm not too familiar with them.

Sponsored Links
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. Controller will be a Siemens REV23 as it allows you to set temperature profiles throughout the day and has PID control to try and keep the temperature more stable. Haven’t heard of the Remeha range before, but the 5 year warrantee sounds good and if they have the same features could be a good deal!

Not familiar with the REV23, I will look at the specs. The Broag has integral weather compensation, so best to find if the REV23 is compatible. I would only use an OpenTherm controller and as the unit comes with weather compensation use that. The performance it gives is well worth it.

You do seem to be swayed by the high output combi idea but I have a point to make for anyone else reading this who wants to fit a megaflow in their loft.
Bearing in mind that a litre of water weighs a Kilogram Can your loft take the strain of the weight of the tank plus the water plus a couple of fat plumbers working up there? You could be looking at half a ton or more!

RE the combi, I will consider them and thanks for the link - they look cheap considering what you get for your money; They still don’t seem to match the flow from a Megaflow tank and I do like the option of being able to use the immersion element in the event that the boiler breaks down. The tank will also go in the loft, so the space taken isn’t really being used for anything.

You only have a 2 bedroomed house, so the combi is ideal. You will not be disappointed. It will fill the bath up fast enough and give wonderful high pressure showers.

If it is DHW backup you want try a in-line backup water heater for combis. Look at this thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152381

Simple, small, easy and will give backup for a shower and a tap or two.

Megagflows are heavy, require an annual service charge by an approved installer/service man and large discharge pipes. A Megaflow is an extra needless expensive in your case.

RE the combi, I will consider them and thanks for the link - they look cheap considering what you get for your money; They still don’t seem to match the flow from a Megaflow tank and I do like the option of being able to use the immersion element in the event that the boiler breaks down. The tank will also go in the loft, so the space taken isn’t really being used for anything.

You only have a 2 bedroomed house, so the combi is ideal. You will not be disappointed. It will fill the bath up fast enough and give wonderful high pressure showers.

If it is DHW backup you want try a in-line backup water heater for combis. Look at this thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152381

Simple, small, easy and will give backup for a shower and a tap or two.

Megagflows are heavy, require an annual service charge by an approved installer/service man and large discharge pipes...and can explode taking half the house down. A Megaflow is an extra needless high expense in your case.

Thanks again for all the really useful comments.
Siemens REV23 is just a fancy room stat with adjustable temperature profiles for the week, etc. It’s quite neat and you can slide it off the wall like a gameboy to program it but I will still need a simple controller for the 3 port valve for hot water unless I get a the combi (another point in favour of the combi).

Quite right re the weight in the loft. House was built in the 50s / 60s and roof and loft seem more solid than most houses from the last 20 years! Loft is boarded and supports 3 good sized people without showing any signs of movement even if you jump about(!). However, I still wouldn’t trust it and have already built a supporting platform next to a wall that will enclose the pipes and act as a very small cupboard. Due to the previous primatic-fortic tank being mounted half way between the bedroom and loft(!!) there is a gap into the loft under which is the support which could take the Megaflow. This way the Megaflow is in the loft but supported by the first floor.

The bath is a bit larger than normal whirlpool type so does need a fair amount of water (hence often having showers now everything is so expensive, lol).

Electric backup is a good idea, but is adding complexity and expense to a combi system, in which case I might as well go back to the Megaflow and immersion.

Re annual service, manufacturer states “No sacrificial anode (eliminates need for annual inspection)” so I take it they are exempt from yearly official inspection? I think you just need to regenerate the internal air gap every year or so. Is that right??

Finally what good plumbing supplier can people recommend? http://www.plumbnation.co.uk seem cheap but only do plastic fittings, but there must be somewhere (online or otherwise) where you can buy standard metal fitting without paying BnQ or Wickes prices?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back