What is an inline water heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be having a new boiler (Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440) next month. Awhile ago I posted on here and someone mentioned that it is a good idea to have a cheap (£150ish) inline water heater fitted which allows one shower and one tap to have hot water in case the boiler fails.

I asked the plumber about this but he didn't know what I was talking about.

Does anyone have an explanation and a link to more information on what this inline system is?

Sponsored Links
From a DIYer not a plumber

If you're wanting to go for one that would heat the water for a shower you'll need to go for one of the high power ones with associated heavy duty electrics. 3kw will give you a basic hand wash level of flow. We have a 3kw in-line heater under our airbath to heat the incoming blown air and it only produces a very low flow of suitably heated water after initial warm up but adequate for our purpose.

Sponsored Links
From a DIYer not a plumber

If you're wanting to go for one that would heat the water for a shower you'll need to go for one of the high power ones with associated heavy duty electrics. 3kw will give you a basic hand wash level of flow.

These are 9kW to 12 kW in-line instant water heaters. They can do a shower and a tap or two. The shower, not great, but gets you wet and hot water available, at a tap or two. Great for backup if a combi is down.

http://www.hycomanufacturing.co.uk/product.asp?id=249

WARNING!!
If you use the wrong type, like the Ariston in the first link, it won't do your job.
You MUST not use something which is designed for an open end, like a shower heater.

Plumbers can be poor, and DIYers dangerous, at getting the safety aspects right. If you don't, they explode and make a big mess.

WARNING!!
If you use the wrong type, like the Ariston in the first linkl, it won't do your job.
You MUST not use something which is designed for an open end, like a shower heater.

Plumbers can be poor, and DIYers dangerous, at getting the safety aspects right. If you don't, they explode and make a big mess.

Thanks for that advice. Which one do you recommend for my system so I have one hot tap and one hot shower? Can it be run from the combi water supply? There won't be a water tank.

Just in case your comment is directed at me ChrisR, my installation was done with the correct model at the time, plumbed in with end fed copper, with the necessary relief pipe in case of excess pressure. The wiring was done to the satisfaction of my attending electrician and the whole project, including the Airbath, inspected and signed off by Building Control.

My comment was to alert the OP to the limited flow available from any 3kw unit and to prepare him/her that the high powered units would need a specific circuit put in for them.

I am not aware that anything I have done or suggested is dangerous but if it is, please enlighten me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back