Imitation parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am moving into my parents 1950’s bungalow which my dad built in 1953. Thoroughout the bungalow they have what appears to be parquet flooring that looks like varnished chipboard. I did not think chipboard was around in the 50’s, but it is not solid wood.

Mum had a flood a few years ago and some of the blocks expanded as chipboard does does. Since the 70’s the entire bungalow has been carpeted, but I did think of reinstating the floor in a couple of the rooms. I know it is not solid wood, but it is authentic and was put down when the bungalow was built.

Has anyone come across this type of ‘chipboard’ or woodbond composite parquet flooring before?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Never come across chipboard parquet before, but chipboard was invented and patented in 1932 by German inventor Max Himmelheber, and first made in a factory in Bremen, Germany during WWII (1943/44). After WWII it was relatively expensive at first (more expensive than some softwoods) so it may well have been initially the preserve of the wealthy and made into flooring. Compressed wood fibre materials were certainly in use well before WWII (e.g. hardboard, Masonite, Sundaelaboard, etc) and I have come across lacquered Masonite floor tiles on a number of occasions over the years as well as one place where a room was panelled in Masonite (presumably because in the 1920s it was initially an expensive material?). Alternatively is it possible that the parquet blocks are some form of compressed cork which might look a little like chipboard? Treated with boiled linseed oil or varnish that could well look like chipboard and might well be very hard after 60-odd years on the floor

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back