Immersion Heater not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have checked the fused socket, the fuse there is good. so i assume that the element is "dead". Is it easy to replace? any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zarni

Sponsored Links
the wiring in this house is quite old, hence the heater being wired into a fused socket.
with elements being quite cheap, will it be easy to replace?

Thnx for ur reply

Zarni

Sponsored Links
The element & t/stat are easy to replace.
Ensure power is off.

A bit more than that.

If you are replacing the element I would suggest that it might be an idea also to turn the water off, and drain the tank. But them I'm not a plumber so what do I know ;)

With the spanner apply as much turning force as you think is safe from the danger of the tank distorting. Then with the force still apply tap the ring of the spanner with a hammer. Move the point of the tapping around the ring and with a bit of luck the "shock" of the tap will break the "stiction" and allow the nut to turn. It can help the have two people, one with the spanner and one with the hammer.

Watch out for fingers holding the spanner if the nut comes free suddenly and the moving spanner handle bangs fingers against something hard.

Before that, get a multimeter and find out if your problem is the thermostat, that's a 5 minute job to check and change. Changing the element takes somewhat longer!

We haven't even established if the fused socket is live yet, maybe it has tripped or another fuse has blown in the CU.

Thnx for all the advice.

It was a two fold problem.

the Heater had failed, on removal completely covered in limescale, thermostat had been set to 75!!!
The FCU also had an intermittent fault when switching.

quick visit to Screwfix, £20 later, New Heater and FCU

Job done :D :D

Thnx again

It isn't easy when the top of the tank creases and rips when the heater is as good as welded into place and your trying to remove it, true some come out a treat, some need a sharp tap on the and of the box spanner, but not all, it wouldn't be wise to tell someone it's easy just because the one you have changed was.

When fitting a new immersion, give a few turns of PTFE tape around the threads in an anti-clockwise direction - this will help prevent stiction on subsequent removal. The MK (K330WHI) 13amp fuse-connection units seem a reliable bet for immersions (They come with a two decade guarantee from MK), and are solidly built - Mine's an MK (K330WHI). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back