Immersion heating issue

Sponsored Links
are you sure that nothing else (e.g. an electric heater, or a shower pump) stops working when the immersion breaker trips?

You could try swapping the 16 amp MCB for one next to it thats 16 amp ,if you are competent and safe to work inside the consumer unit.

No just the heater, as far as i know anyway.
We just notice that after putting it on the switch light is off in the kitchen after a bit.

No electric heaters or shower pump installed, i'm trying to think of anything else that would affect it but i cant, every heavy users are on their on spurs

Sponsored Links
Dunno if id mess with that to be honest might be a bit beyond my paygrade.

Just a matter of isolate the supply to the board by turning off the red switches i guess

Dunno if id mess with that to be might be a bit beyond my paygrade.

Just a matter of isolate the supply to the board by turning off the red switches i guess
Not quite ,turning off the red main switch on the consumer unit would still have live terminals at the main switch. Do you have a switch in between the meter and the consumer unit ?

Yes Terry in the outside box there a switch after the meter i think.

If im going to be going that far i think id just get an electrician in to be safe.

Always a good idea to engage an electrician to do electrical work. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then don't do it.

Quote .... " I have noticed that it take very little to flip this breaker manually when compared to the cooker one beside it".
What does it flip like compared to the other 16 amp mcb's ? If it feels like it has less resistance when you press it off ,compared to the others ,that's another sign that it's suspect.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
yes terry is right, to try it you can turn off the main switch and the switch in the meter box. Then check everything is powered off now ideally with a multimeter from earth bar to the MCB screws.
then loosen the screw at the top of the B16 and take out the brown wire. Do the same on the one to the left for the fused spur. Put the brown wires in the opposite MCB to what they were before, tighten snugly, and then put the cover back on and the power back on.
Once you have finished the diagnostics, don't forget to put it back following the same steps as before..

• Thanks
Quote .... " I have noticed that it take very little to flip this breaker manually when compared to the cooker one beside it".
What does it flip like compared to the other 16 amp mcb's ? If it feels like it has less resistance when you press it off ,compared to the others ,that's another sign that it's suspect.

Or, if it has repeatedly operated, it might just be freed-off by wear, and the others are in new, stiff condition.

Edit, no, it's CGD logo.

Last edited:
Just to close this thread out.

I changed the stat again and it resolved the issue.

Stange

Darren

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back