Immersion Heater Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening to all.

I need to replace the immersion heater in my copper tank.

The job does not really present a great problem. However, I have one specific problem.

The drain plug for the copper tank is inaccessible - the tank is in a hot press and the drain plug is located at the back. I cannot get at it.

If I turn off the cold water supply to the tank and turn on all the hot water taps in the house, would it be possible to siphon off some water from the tank when I remove the immersion element ? Or, would I have a flood ?

Any suggestion would be most welcome

Many thanks,

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Where is your immersion heater, on the top or on the side ?

If you can see the bottom (cold) feed into the tank you could always fit a self-drilling service valve as typically used for washing machines. This will then provide a draining point to get below the level of the immersion boss.

Sponsored Links
If you turn off the main supply into your house and run the hot taps it will empty the system down to the level of the take off from the cylinder, you should only get a small amount of water when you open the immersion.

I deal with this problem by applying air pressure to the top of the cylinder to force the contents back up the supply pipe.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back