Immersion heater tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My immersion heater seems to be tripping one of my RCDs.

If I have the switch (labeled Water Heater, directly next to the heater vessel) all other appliances on the RCD work fine and do not trip. As soon as I flick tha switch (even if it's not currently on a heating schedule) it trips the RCD instantly.

I'm pretty handy at DIY and on the tools but not really had to deal with heaters like this. What should be my first port of call? I have attached some pictures:

Boiler vessel:
20231010_124418.jpg

Thermostat/element:
20231010_124114.jpg

Switch/electrics by vessel:
20231010_124140.jpg

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
H

Attachments

• 20231008_193118.jpg
    20231008_193118.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231010_124135.jpg
    20231010_124135.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
This one:

Not a job for a first timer!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Not a job for a first timer!

Andy

May I ask which aspect makes you suggest that? Researching online seems to be fairly straightforward. Main 'scary' bit is possibly tearing the vessel?

You will need the element, new matching thermostat and the special big spanner to fit the boss. A blow lamp, plus gentle taps with a hammer might help free it, if it's seized, and it will need to be drained first.

As above but don't drain first only drain when loosened.

As above but don't drain first only drain when loosened.

Good point - but he will not be able to drain the water from the cylinder, he will only be able to drain the tank and pipework which lies above the tank. Hence, expect some water to come out, once the immersion heater is released - have lots of towels ready to catch the few pints which come out.

Working with a plumber with over 40 years of experience.

Andy
Yes good point, I started doing them after seeing them done a few times, bit nerve racking the first few but not really brain surgery.

Researching online seems to be fairly straightforward.
It's straightforward if the old one unscrews properly the first time.
Everything online looks straightforward because people only show it when it all goes well - and those videos which show disasters are usually staged for maximum effect.

Main 'scary' bit is possibly tearing the vessel?
Could be, in which case it's new cylinder time.
Or the thread is seized and when unscrewing you are actually twisting the threaded boss out of the cylinder. If that happens, you won't know until it's too late.
Or the thread gets damaged so that although the old one can be removed, the new one won't screw in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back