Immersion heater turning on randomly

Any idea how to work the cost of electric v oil?

You will need to ask someone who uses oil, for typical costs per Kwh for oil.

But this suggests 4.8p per Kwh in 2020, which is very close to the 5p you pay per Kwh for electric during the night. If oil has gone up, then it might be worth setting your immersion heater to run for the entire off-peak supply period, then completely off during peak.

Sponsored Links
Anything that can be done and its really quite loud? Would it help not having that pump on which puts the hot water around?

I would guess at the room warming up causing the expansion. Could you lower the head on a night to drain it, then raise it back up.

I would guess at the room warming up causing the expansion. Could you lower the head on a night to drain it, then raise it back up.

No its a fixed one, unfortunately.

That's where the question around why the shower pressure is lower in the top verses the side one I thought might be size of pipe

EDIT - will need to run the hot water on a cycle (morning/evening) else the towel radiators are on all the time (they don't have thermostat valves)

the cylinder is so big that morning and evening will be plenty.

If, as likely, the towel rails are on the cylinder heating circuit, the cylinder will turn off the circuit when the cylinder reaches its target temperature and stops demanding heat. If the CH is also not demanding heat, the boiler will then turn off. Try it.

I find this very handy because in my house, it means the rail warms up shortly after you start running a bath.

Sponsored Links
the cylinder is so big that morning and evening will be plenty.

If, as likely, the towel rails are on the cylinder heating circuit, the cylinder will turn off the circuit when the cylinder reaches its target temperature and stops demanding heat. If the CH is also not demanding heat, the boiler will then turn off. Try it.

I find this very handy because in my house, it means the rail warms up shortly after you start running a bath.

I'll give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back