Immersion Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a small leak coming from between the element and tank on my immersion heater. I have used it occasionally and it works fine but do not want to use it in case the tank splits completely (I have heard a few horror stories of this happening!)
I am replacing my bathroom and would like to replace the tank/element at the same time if it needs doing. I have spoken to a few plumbers each saying different things but all seem reluctant to to replace. One plumber said I would not be able to get a new tank, another said I could recondition the tank and another suggested some filler to stop the leak. The property is approximately 30 years old, I am not sure how old the tank/element is but it could very well be as old as the property. I am not sure what to do?
Should I insist on a replacement tank and element or try the filler? Roughly how much would a new system cost? Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
if its just leaking between the element and tank sounds like it just needs a new fibre washer. they only cost pence.

It isn't leaking at the joint though, is it.

Cylinders don't just start leaking at the element joint, but they frequently start leaking at a pinhole in the cylinder wall near where the element boss is brazed on.

What reason do people give for not being able to replace the cylinder? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The reason given was that it is an old system and therefore difficult to get the correct size! I think the plumber just didn't want to do the work to be honest.

Will it be glaringly obvious where the leak is coming from, how can i tell? It seems to be from the bottom of the element, is the pinhole situated there?
Thanks for your help guys

The reason given was that it is an old system and therefore difficult to get the correct size! I think the plumber just didn't want to do the work to be honest.
If it's 30 years young then I would expect the pipes and fittings to be metric; if so then no difficulties there.

If room in the cupboard is tight then you might have to have a narrower cylinder, or have a custom size made, but that's all do-able, so no difficulties there.

If you post a photo of the cylinder and its surrounding pipework then it might reveal a factor that you haven't noticed.

Will it be glaringly obvious where the leak is coming from, how can i tell? It seems to be from the bottom of the element, is the pinhole situated there?
If you remove the insulation from the area, and wipe it clean/dry, then it should become obvious where the water is emerging.

However - be careful - if the cylinder is corroded and the walls thin, then occasionally this will cause a leak to become a gush. For this reason it's best done with the cold feed to the cylinder being shut first, and done on a day where a cylinder can be obtained and fitted, so that you're not without hot water for very long.

The reason given was that it is an old system and therefore difficult to get the correct size! I think the plumber just didn't want to do the work to be honest.Thanks for your help guys

I would not be surprised if he got your vibes that you only wanted to pay for a bodged cheap job.

Any normal person would bite the bullet and go for a new well insulated cylinder that would save its cost from the increased efficiency in a few years.

A cylinder is usually about £200 and installation about £150-£300 depending how difficult the job is and how much the firm charges.

Tony

Actually Tony, I do not want to go for the cheap bodge job which is why I am posting! As my first email I was trying to gauge whether the plumbers are trying to get out of the job as I would like to replace it.

I will look at where it is leaking tonight and hopefully post some pictures. Thanks again for your replies :D

If you really wanted to replace it then its irrelevant where it is leaking from!

You are giving the impression that in spite of your words you only want a bodge!

Just post a .... picture and we will advise you what can be done.

Tony

I would not be surprised if he got your vibes that you only wanted to pay for a bodged cheap job.
Perhaps you could explain where you got those vibes from, and what evidence you have that the OP wants a "bodged cheap job", ..................

Tony, I think you have some issues! I am shocked at how asking civilised questions upsets you so much. I feel for you!

Tony, I think you have some issues! I am shocked at how asking civilised questions upsets you so much. I feel for you!

I have given the information you asked for and particularly the possible costs. No one else has done this.

I also offered to advise you on any replacement issues if you posted a picture of the whole cylinder.

I am sorry that you are not appreciative of this!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back