Immersion Leak

Do you think i should speak to a plumber who does more heating and plumbing?
I meant should i contact one who specializes/advertises that they do heating as well. Some don't.

From what i have read on the subject i think it is a direct cylinder as well. I will take some more pictures.

Thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
Most general plumbers would cover replacing cylinders and all CORGI registered installers would.

The full length picture of the cylinder would tell us if its indirect or not. But you seem strangely reluctant to show it to us! They are slightly cheaper and easier to instal.

Tony

Sponsored Links
all CORGI registered installers would.

on what do you base this ?

i know plenty that wouldn't.

personally i do not like the all encompassing term rgi.

I very carefully did not use the term RGI in this instance as the public dont know what it is and I refered to "CORGI registered installers".

All installers who fit boilers will normally have the skills and experience to fit cylinders as they regularly do this with conventional systems.

Of course some individual installers might not want to just fit a cylinder ( unless it was quiet ).

Tony

Have you ever seen green scale before?
I see it every day of the live long week. :rolleyes:

I have seen several cylinders which have started leaking after corroding like that and the customers phone and say "its burst".
In that case, in the interests of consistency, I suggest that you write all your posts using words that customers use.

I have added some picture to Air Cupboard album. Im sorry but they are not great pictures as it is quite a small hall way and i couldnt step back very far. Hopefully i have captured the entry/exit points.

I also have Economy 7 and have seen you can get Economy 7 Cylinder/heater. Has anyone used/installed them?
[/img]

if you can loosen the belts and pull the sectional jacket off, we can see the cylinder better. You can put the jacket back after taking the photo. But it looks to me like a direct one (this suggests you do not have a gas boiler) which is cheaper and more simple to fit than the other kind.

As you have Economy 7 you can (and most people do) have the bottom immersion heater run off the E7 supply, often with a 24-hour supply to another heater near the top for topping-up at full price if necessary. In this case it is a great advantage to have the cylinder very well insulated. new cylinders come with plastic foam coating applied at the factory, but you can put a red jacket over the top and lag all the pipes if you like (I do) as well, and it will easily stay hot for 24 hours (unless you use it all sooner).

I would hope that, as you have E7, the immersion heater is already connected to that supply. If the E7 supply automatically turns off during the day at the meter, you do not need another timer.

E7 electricity is about half the price of daytime electricity.

If you post pics of your electricity meter(s), consumer units (fuseboxes) and the various cables between them, we may be able to identify how it has been done. You can post this in the Electrics UK (not the plumbing) forum.

At present i have a timer connected to my Economy 7 system (night storage heater also connected). The property does not have a gas supply.

Im not sure that the Economy 7 tank, with the option of daily rate top up is really required, unless they would be far more economical.

I will take some better pictures over the weeked and post them on Monday.

Thanks all for you help, and wish you a nice weekend :D

I have added some picture to Air Cupboard album. Im sorry but they are not great pictures as it is quite a small hall way and i couldnt step back very far. Hopefully i have captured the entry/exit points.
I suspect you have.

Unless they're extremely well hidden, it doesn't have primary connections (i.e. pipes to/from a boiler), and it doesn't have an upper immersion element.

I also have Economy 7 and have seen you can get Economy 7 Cylinder/heater. Has anyone used/installed them?
Of course, but I would still take the risk of attempting to change the element. You have nothing to lose.

BTW, you appear to have an asbestos cement water cistern above the cylinder. Come the day that you replace this, please be aware that it's low grade hazardous waste, and has to be disposed of safely, and by a licensed waste carrier to an appropriately licensed waste site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back