immersion overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bought a property recently with an immersion heater. The water was scolding. I tried to vary the thermostatic setting, but the temperature was always too hot to touch.

I visited the local plumbing shop who recommended that I change the thermostat. After changing the device, the temperature was still too high (factory setting was 65). I turned down the thermostat and immediately the temperature went down. However, this time is was just a tad too cool for my liking. So I turned up the thermostat a fraction. I went out for a couple of hours and when I got back there was the smell of burning. I sourced it to the immersion which I switched off. I took the immersion cap off and saw the inside was black and so were the wires although they have not burnt out.

Does anyone have any idea what has happened?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. I will check the wiring first thing in the morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back