Immersion troubleshooting - is there anything else I can test

Use a multimeter and check for 240 volts at the element terminals

I would WITH POWER OFF check both live or neutral terminations to earth in case the immersion element is split ( quite common)

Sponsored Links
Use a multimeter and check for 240 volts at the element terminals

I would WITH POWER OFF check both live or neutral terminations to earth in case the immersion element is split ( quite common)
Still required now it’s working Dan?

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Are you suggesting a safety device be bypassed? I know there’s the high limit stat, but should something happen could be liable?
The original immersions with the externally mounted hi limit (safety) stat only had a control thermostat as was the case no doubt with this installation, the last immersion I changed had this (now) combined control and hi limit (safety) stat so no requirement for two safety stats, one of my relations HW cylinder started boiling over recently, I found the external hi limit stat which had only been glued to the immersion boss had become detached and wasn't in contact with the immersion boss, I replaced it with the combined unit.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Good description here from JW of how both stats work, in case anyone is in any doubt that there isn't a separate set of contacts. A electric shower thermal cut out (TCO) use two of these discs (its called a duo disc), one, set to 48C, is self resetting, the other, set to 75C, does not reset, the TCO must/should be replaced, you can see one of the discs below, the other is behind it but I don't know if there are two separate sets of contacts.

1712402265145.jpeg

1712402373068.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back