Immigration Crisis

Hopefully the government will close the "I was Trafficked" loophole soon, so that illegal immigrants can be deported quicker.
And genuine cases will also be deported. The Government have demonstrated that discretion is not allowed towards refugees.
A confusion over an exact position half way across the Channel, and they can drown, it's of no consequence, they're just refugees.

Sponsored Links
You don't know. You just know where bodies etc were found. You do not know when they finished up in the water. You also don't know when the engine failed or the deflation rate.
Are the beeb making it all up then?

We have the messages from the passengers.
ETD 2100 UTC (2200 local time) they were ready to go from 8pm CET
1 hour later they are taking on water - reports of squally weather from others crossing who turned back.
0130 UTC Engine failure
reports it sank within an hour.

0130UTC is the time they lost propulsion. Tidal stream took them NE until 0600, then SW until they were located (pretty much cancelling each other out).

To have made it to UK territorial waters from their departure position even with the most direct route they would need a min avg speed of 6.5kts.

That seems unlikely for a 10m dingy with 2.4 tonnes of cargo and no solid floor.

You don't know. You just know where bodies etc were found. You do not know when they finished up in the water. You also don't know when the engine failed or the deflation rate.
but he knows we don't need to investigate

A confusion over an exact position half way across the Channel, and they can drown, it's of no consequence, they're just refugees.
People frequently drown when they set off in an unsafe, over crowded vessel without proper safety kit, navigation equipment or life jackets and end up in cold water within a few hours of departure, having failed to turn back when their vessel started sinking.

I have no more or less sympathy than I do for solo sailors who think its ok to cross the Atlantic single handed going days without sleep relying on everyone else to get out of their way and rescue them when it goes wrong.
but he knows we don't need to investigate
It's a bit politically rude to investigate a French coordinated rescue of a French vessel, in French territorial waters.

Sponsored Links
People frequently drown when they set off in an unsafe, over crowded vessel without proper safety kit, navigation equipment or life jackets and end up in cold water within a few hours of departure, having failed to turn back when their vessel started sinking.

I have no more or less sympathy than I do for solo sailors who think its ok to cross the Atlantic single handed going days without sleep relying on everyone else to get out of their way and rescue them when it goes wrong.

It's a bit politically rude to investigate a French coordinated rescue of a French vessel, in French territorial waters.
We know it's a French vessel?

We know it wasn't in, or very close to our waters?

We can and will only rescue those who cross a specific line in moving waters?

We will only rescue UK boats ?

We don't want to get on with neighbours and establish joint procedures, or ensure they work correctly?

Yes, I think I'm getting it. We don't need to investigate, we are British and that's the end of it.

I'm wondering when the 2 party posting marathon will run out of steam or die due to fatigue.
I'm wondering when those who are so demonstrably hostile to refugees and immigrants in general will stop trying to persuade those on social media that the British are entirely blameless in such a sad lack of concern for people in distress.

I'm wondering when those who are so demonstrably hostile to refugees and immigrants in general will stop trying to persuade those on social media that the British are entirely blameless in such a sad lack of concern for people in distress.
I wouldn't disagree. Personally my view is that it was a f'up due to the way this situation is handled with boat peoples. That has it's political aspects. Perhaps when there is doubt they will take it in turns or provide more ships in case the one they have is too busy.

Sponsored Links
Back