impedence across RCDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While investigating higher than expected Zs readings on a final ring, I find I get about one ohm difference across the RCDs in the CU when doing a live test. Ze is 0.1 but Zs on the downstream side of the RCD is 1.1. This is enough to push Zs on the ring out of spec. The actual resistance across the RCD is zero so suspect getting some sort of inductive effect. Is this common? If I ignore/short out the RCD then aren't I defeating the object of the test. Using a new Di-log 9083p tester.

Sponsored Links
RCDs will have some impedance however 1 ohm does seem very high. Are all connections tight? Is it new or old?
I take it you are using a No-Trip tester - these usually do read a bit on the high side and any noise on the network can play havoc with the readings.
You can always go back to basics and do a normal Ze and then add on your (R1+R2) readings.

Sponsored Links
Brand new Wylex CU, both RCDs showing the same impedance. I was thinking along the same lines as you guys but its good to have it confirmed. Might take it up with Di-log. Technology's great but sometimes it causes more problems than it cures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back