Imperfections on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just plastered my kitchen and have a couple of water mark indentations that require filling. I have tried polyfilla which just wont adhere to the plaster, what am i doing wrong? This is my first plastering job. I tried the the polyfilla on freshly dried plaster do i have to wait a certain amount of time or prime the plaster somehow? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well done Bainzy for doing your first plastering job,, your kitchen. It's not un-common to get the odd blemish here and there. As long as you're happy with the overall job, that's the main thing,,, you'll learn from it. It's not advisable to use any type of filler onto bare/new plaster, as you've found out,,, because the suction is high, and any filler wont stick, as it dries out too quick. The best thing to do, is give the wall a mist coat of thinned down "matt emulsion", then give it another when it's dried. The mist coat will highlight any small imperfections, and it is simple to fill them up, because the plaster has now been sealed. I would use a small amount "ready mix joint finish" to fill any blemishes, and then sand it down gently when it's dried out.

Well done Bainzy for doing your first plastering job,, your kitchen. It's not un-common to get the odd blemish here and there.
certainly not unusual when you've done it rc, ;)

The best thing to do, is give the wall a mist coat of "matt emulsion", then give it another when it's dried. The mist coat will highlight any small imperfections, and it is simple to fill them up, because the plaster has now been sealed. I would use a small amount ready mix joint finish to fill any blemishes, and then sand it down gently when it's dried out.
Oh yes indeedy

Well done Bainzy for doing your first plastering job,, your kitchen. It's not un-common to get the odd blemish here and there.
certainly not unusual when you've done it rc, ;)

The best thing to do, is give the wall a mist coat of "matt emulsion", then give it another when it's dried. The mist coat will highlight any small imperfections, and it is simple to fill them up, because the plaster has now been sealed. I would use a small amount ready mix joint finish to fill any blemishes, and then sand it down gently when it's dried out.
Oh yes indeedy

;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had a feeling it would be something to do with suction but i am still learning so thanks for the advice. I will try your advice and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back