Imperial sized equivillant of 10mm Microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house with central heating installed over 30 years ago. I want to move a radiator but i am struggling to get the pipes to fit. It is fed by what looks like 10mm microbore but when I try to fit it to a 10mm coupling it is too tight as its more like 12mm, I also experienced this problem when plumbing in the bathroom all the pipes were 1/2 inch but managed to use a 15mm coupling. Are there any adaptops available and what is the imperial equivillant size for 10mm?

Sponsored Links
so can you still buy adaptors for this size as I want to connect new 10mm pipe to the existing microbore as the pipes wont reach the new location.?

I think that DIA meant ⅜ " ( Senior moment! )

You can often get it to fit by widening a 10 mm fitting slighty.

I am lucky and just use my lathe to machine something to fit!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Am i missing something here .

"its more like 12mm "

Have you tried a 12mm fitting on it as it may fit

actually I did this on one radiator TRV in the bathroom and it took me ages of sanding down the pipe and fitting, it ws only then I realised that an imperial version of copper pipe existed before my time! I assumed there was only lead pipes that were imperial.

I cannot fit a 3/8 to 10mm coupling but...

Do you think this would work if i put on of those trv reducers in the coupling and then connect 10mm microbore from wickes to it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-x-12...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item19d4c1d42d

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That fitting would work but personally i would use a 15mm to 10mm end feed reducer into it to take it to 10mm as opposed to a reducing set(olive)

With copper tube you can often with COPPER tape round the tube to increase the diameter until it fits the next size up socket!

Tony

I think that DIA meant ⅜ " ( Senior moment! )

You can often get it to fit by widening a 10 mm fitting slighty.

I am lucky and just use my lathe to machine something to fit!

Tony

No DIA didn't mean ⅜" he meant ¼" :rolleyes:

⅜" is 12mm Tony.

The OD of ¼" is ⅜" or 10mm.

Of course it's a long time since I was on the kit. :(

Are you sure?

1/4" is 6mm and thats the internal bore. If the tube thickness is 1 mm ( twice ) then that gives 8 mm ???

Whatever the equivalent size is, it matters not, since a 30+ year old microbore system will be sludged to ruination and is long overdue for replacement.

My microbore system takes great offence at being accused of being sludged up and its 38 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back