Improving a budget gas pipe and boiler install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 questions for you about a house I am looking at. I need to make a fairly quick decision whether to proceed but it is dependent of whether I can move gas pipes and the boiler.

My questions are:
1. is it a straightforward to move these pipes and the boiler?
2. Ball park costs?

A budget Local Authority install has been done and I would like to improve it if poss. Currently the mains gas comes into the front of the house into the living room and the gas pipe runs up the internal wall (surface mounted, not in the wall) and goes to the boiler in the bedroom above. Think it's a 1950's house and has concrete ground floor.

Could the gas pipe run externally around the front of the house to the side where the front door and hallway is and connect to a moved Combi boiler there? So this would entail running the main gas pipe round the outside of the ground floor approx a few meters and moving the Combi Boiler downstairs to the hallway or kitchen? And could this be done for under 1K approx?

Thanks for any thoughts, input you might have on this. This is the only picture I have, hoping you can gather some info from it - that's the condensate pipe I think looking shocking on the front of the house!

Attachments

• IMG_House.jpg
    IMG_House.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Yes, it can probably be moved and will likely be less than £1k if it is labour only with only some pipe and fittings to supply.

No reason why it can’t be moved, one thing to be mindful of is any asbestos containing material, eg artex. Does the boiler need to be moved?

Thanks for the replies Denso and CBW.

Yes the boiler needs to be moved from bedroom 1, which is just above the condensate pipe to downstairs - either hallway or kitchen.

I know boilers in bedrooms are legal but I don't want a boiler in a bedroom. So it has to be moved downstairs.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Could it also depend on the age/model of combi, whether the flue kit is still available?
The new flue would also have to be mounted to comply with minimum distances from the doorway etc.

Its all possible, not sure a boiler move would come in at less than £1k though.
Totally agree with you that a bedroom is not the right place for the boiler. Would there be space in the bathroom?

Thanks Random - I think the flue is going out through the roof there - but not 100% certain.

Oldbutnotdead - thank you. the gas pipework is at the front of the house and going to the front bedroom. The bathroom is at the back of the house, but yes I would be happy with the boiler moved anywhere other than the two bedrooms. Also, it is about getting rid of the exposed (surface mounted) gas pipe that is on the living room wall. It is not copper rad pipes, but I think the gas mains steel pipe - it looks so bad. But concrete living room floor. So I thought run the gas pipe outside round the side, boiler moved to hall way, flue out the side, away from front door.

Thanks Random - I think the flue is going out through the roof there - but not 100% certain.
Yes, from the pic, it is going out through the roof.
My question was partly to the gas pros - if your boiler is modern, the flue kit should be readily available - but if not, you may end up having to have a new boiler, simply because a couple of bits of plastic aren't available!
I think I'm with OldButNotDead, moving the boiler and pipework, core drilling a new hole for the flue, repairing the roof and making good after decommissioning the old flue, etc. is probably going to be a bit more than £1k...

This is all really helpful, thanks.

It may mean a start from scratch new system is necessary to get rid of the suface mounted pipework and bedroom boiler. This has helped me to weigh up whether there is a quick solution or if it's potentially more involved. I'll only know for sure if I get some quotes done.

Grateful for all your help - it means I can decide whether to go ahead or not.

As the lower floors are solid, the existing Flow and return pipes will need routed to the new boiler position, and new condensate route will need to be added, a new PRV route will need to be made, the electrics will need to be re-routed, it isnt a matter of slinging the old boiler on a new wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back