In-car tyre pressure indication

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know how these things work? Seems very clever?
Just had my low tyre pressure warning light light come on. Blew them up but the light stayed on. I groaned and thought it was going to be code reader issue, but after a short drive it reset. Inflated to 32 psi front, 33 psi rear, and the dash said just that. I expected it to be there or thereabouts, but quite impressed that it agreed spot-on with the airline.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant devices, I agree!
Expect them to show up a fault when there is around 3 to 4 psi difference on the axle.
They transmit to a module within the car. Some will tell you which wheel has the fault, others just a general alert.
Some reset automatically, some have a ‘set’ button on the dash, others have a more complex reset system.
The direct types have a battery within the valve with around a 6 year life, other indirect types use the ABS system as a soft tyre has less of a rolling radius. It’s probably best to replace the sensor if it’s getting on a bit, just in case the tyre lasts longer than the sensor itself.
John

Anybody know how these things work? Seems very clever?
Just had my low tyre pressure warning light light come on. Blew them up but the light stayed on. I groaned and thought it was going to be code reader issue, but after a short drive it reset. Inflated to 32 psi front, 33 psi rear, and the dash said just that. I expected it to be there or thereabouts, but quite impressed that it agreed spot-on with the airline.
sounds like yours work from the abs sensor, so it would not have known you had blown the tyre up until you drove a little way and it could work out the tyres were back to the same diameter.

Some cars have a reset button, so if you fit a tyre of a slightly different dia, you can tell the car this is OK.

Sponsored Links
Back