In need of e new water pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a multifuel burner 16kw output i think, 2 medium single and 1 small single radiator upstairs. 1 large, 2 small dingle and a small double radiator downstairs.

When I have the fire on and no pump on the radiators upstairs get hot as does the hot water tank. When I turn the pump on the downstairs radiators get hot and but the upstairs start to cool down as well as the hot water (after a while.)

Is this a sign that my current water pump is no working as good as it should or is not powerful enough?

If it is on its way out or not good enough and I need to buy a new one. How do I know which pump is the right one for me?

The ones I've seen aren't cheap so I don't want to but one that's not good enough.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
No its a sign that the plumbing is wrong and the heat is getting dragged out of the hot water tank via the coil.

Check your stove. Unless you are throwing fuel into the thing ever 5 minutes I bet it isn't 16 kW more like 6-8Kw.
If it is only 6 or 8 kW you radiators and tank probably add up to 12kW
hence they are drawing heat faster than the boiler can provide it.

Thanks. The fire needs to be roaring before any good heat is given out to the radiators. I was thinking of buying an flue valve or something to try keep heat in the fire as it just goes straight out up the chimney!

I thought there may be an issue with the plumbing as when I turn the pump off, cooler water flows back down the pipe into the back boiler!

I have a evergreen holywell ST1017, I thinkias there were no markings on it!

Thanks. The fire needs to be roaring before any good heat is given out to the radiators. I was thinking of buying an flue valve or something to try keep heat in the fire as it just goes straight out up the chimney!

I thought there may be an issue with the plumbing as when I turn the pump off, cooler water flows back down the pipe into the back boiler!

I have a evergreen holywell ST1017, I thinkias there were no markings on it!

Wouldn't waste my time on it. This is heating from the dark ages.
A nice gas boiler is what you need. By all means keep a little stove for fun to heat a lounge as a centre piece. Just don't try and heat the house with it.

Sponsored Links
cant get gas in my house. There is no connection for 1/2 miles. Plus its cheaper than gas in the long run with their infaltion busting price hikes, because these power companies are greedy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back