What pump to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new boiler (Greenstar 30 CDI) fitted a year ago. I have about 30 radiators (yes I have a large house) and used to have separate pumps for downstairs and upstairs. Regulations forced me to have only one pump and use valves to control downstairs and upstairs. Many of the radiators only get hot in the top half, so I rather think that the pump is not strong enough. I have a Wilo Gold 50. Is this man enough for the job, and if not, what should I replace it with?

Sponsored Links
I had a new boiler (Greenstar 30 CDI) fitted a year ago. I have about 30 radiators (yes I have a large house) and used to have separate pumps for downstairs and upstairs. Regulations forced me to have only one pump and use valves to control downstairs and upstairs. Many of the radiators only get hot in the top half, so I rather think that the pump is not strong enough. I have a Wilo Gold 50. Is this man enough for the job, and if not, what should I replace it with?

was the same person who informed you about the regulations the same person who installed a 5m head pump for 30 rads ?? :D

Yes. I had 2 of those pumps, each independently controlled through its own time clock, and he only used one in the new system. The reason he gave was that there could only be one electrical socket controlling the system. Sounds a daft regulation to me but then most of the new regs are.

From the smiley face, you obviously don't think it was a good idea :cry:

Sponsored Links
no there's no regulation to stop you having more than one pump and a 5m head pump is never gonna work 30rads. I would say a good quality 6m head pump might just manage if the circuit is well laid out, else you might have to step up a notch again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back