In the kitchen should you lay tiles all the way to the walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... or just past the edge of the kitchen units/plinth where they disappear from view. The former will cost double which seems like a big waste of money and I know the latter will mean having to adjust the legs to make it level. I won't ever be changing the layout in the future.

And am assuming tiles should always go down before the kitchen units go in but it would make life a lot easier if they could go in after.

Any thoughts? Will be getting a tiler to do it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd put the base units in before the tiling. Tile up to the legs, so finished edge of the tiles are hidden by the kick plate.

Even better, hadn't thought of that.

I'll get it all tiled where the appliances are going. Thanks

personally i like to tile the entire floor if there are no units in, that means no cutting the kickboards, all utensils ( cooker,washer, dryer etc etc) will fit under the bench tops correctly.

If the units are in place, tile upto the legs as previously suggested

Sponsored Links
If you do tile up to the legs, (which is what I - as a DIY-er - would do in your situation - no rearranging of the kitchen in the forseable future, and less cost), I would also invest in some sheet material to bring the floor level up to the same height as the finished tile surface for anywhere that you are going to have appliances, (washing machine, dryer, fridge, freezer etc). This will make moving said appliances a LOT easier should you ever need to move them out again. It's not much fun trying to pull the washing machine out from under the worktop at the same time as trying to lift it over the 10mm 'step' where you finished tiling :p
Of course you could just tile under where the appliances are going to be, but that is your call :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back