Kitchen floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're just about to start installing our new kitchen units and plan to tile the floor later with the tiles going just under the plinths.

We're looking at using 600mm square porcelin (or possibly ceramic) floor tiles. Is there a standard thickness for these tile? SWMBO hasn't decided what tiles she wants so I cant just measure them!

What about the adhesive thickness? The floor is concrete screed and I was planning on using a 10mm notched trowel but clearly the adhesive will compress when the tiles are laid.

The legs on the kitchen units are adjustable and the question is what thickness do we allow for the tiles plus the adhesive bed?

Of course we could cut the plinths down to fit but we'd like the units to be as high as possible as we're both fairly tall!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I'd say your best not to worry and cut the plinths. The leg adjustment its best used to make sure they are level and the plinth should then be scribed and trimmed to suit. Also you'll probably find that the plinths have a 5mm gap at the top anyway.

However...for a tile that size you'll usually be looking at 8-10mm thick. Adhesive will be roughly (very) 4mm thick. As i say, i think your best to put this out of your mind though :)

Allow 20mm for the tile and floor adhesive ,thats what i do normally before setting out the height for units

4mm notched trowl for floor tiles..................oh i wish ! :D

Thanks for your help guys - SWMBO has decided on 15mm. If necessary we can cut the plinth down or have a small gap where it meets the underside of the cabinets.

I see what you're saying tpt but it seems the tiles and adhesive are going to be at least 12mm and she doesn't want to loose anything from the height of the work surfaces.

She says that extra 1/2" can make all the difference ;)

Sponsored Links
i didn't say 4mm notched trowel, i said that the adhesive will end up at roughly 4mm.

OP - just make sure that if you set the legs to a high setting you aren't starting at a high point in the floor - or you'll have no adjustment left for levelling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back