size of notched trowel for porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to tile the floor and walls of my bathroom. Can anyone advise on the depth of the adhesive for the floor and walls. What size notched trowel should I use for the wall and floor? The tiles are 11mm thick. I have already tanked etc and the adhesive will be BAL maxiflex.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ask the tile shop or Mfr if the porcelain is suitable to use with a grey adhesive?
Keep the grout joins clean, and clear of adhesive.

I use a 6mm notched steel trowel for just about everything residential. But you can use a 10mm notched trowel on floors if you want a thicker bed of adhesive.

First use the flat edge of the trowel to apply a tight skim coat to the wall or the floor surface, & then comb across it with the notched edge of the trowel - do the same on the back of the porcelain tile (its known as buttering the tile).

FWIW: I comb horizontal on the wall, and comb all the same direction whichever way on the floor.

Many thanks Vinn I will ask ref the grey adhesive.

Sponsored Links
the size of the notch depends on the size of the tile, essentially the bigger the tile the bigger the trowel, what size are the tiles.
As vinn says 6 and 10mm should cover most eventualities

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back