In the wake of the Corgi Cowboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this is going to be a long post but we're left with a litany of problems and need any advice we can get.
We had a new Potterton Derwent Compact A boiler fitted to our old, and rather eccentric system. Old boiler was in a blocked off fireplace so we had new one installed in cellar space which was directly below the old site.

The old system had two pumps: the support pump fired the water to the 2nd floor when needed but at the same time ground floor rads chilled at the speed of sound so this option was only used when really needed.

We asked if a new, more powerful pump would sort out the flow of water. Were told yes and one was duly fitted.

Problem 1:The installer did not flush the system through, just drained it down. I know that the old system had a lot of slurry in it so asked installer to do something to try and break it down. He added a chemical in the header tank (didn't say what) to break down slurry.

When boiler was commissioned, the heating worked fairly well, suggesting that the new pump was up the the job of circulating throughout the whole house, however

For the next 3 weeks we had a steady flow of brown gunk pouring down the side of the house - we called him in 3 times and each time he made some minor adjustment but the problem persisted. Now I realise that, had he made adjustments to the ball cock in the first place, the problem would have stopped immediately. As it is, our house looks like it's condemned and he's refusing to clean up the staining. It'll cost us about 500 quid to get it cleaned professionally. Also rads stopped working gradually

Called cowboy back to stop slurry flow and to drain down system in order to get things moving properly.

Problem 2. Heat was still not circulating throughout the house. I could hear air in the pump and was bleeding radiators daily to try and get some results.

Cowboy's work experience lad arrived, drained down system and then couldn't get any water flow at all. He was about to leave so I made him go back to the header tank and try adding some water to get a better pull. he did this and blew air through a hose into the system to clear blockage.

Cowboy arrived and said that system was too fouled up with sludge to work properly. He said that we should replace 2 of the radiators that were worst affected. This was done and still no joy. Heat on ground and first floors but nada on the top floor.

Called cowboy back. He said that we will have to have entire pipeworks on top floor replaced by v expensive aluminum piping. Only at this point did I realise he was in the midst of a major heist. At this point he demanded payment for work done already - even though the system was not working and we still had time left on the 30 day payment period. he said he wouldn't go until we paid him. so stupidly, we did. 8000 quid for a boiler that I now realise cost 1100 - apx 120% mark up on all materials. God only knows how much markup he made on the labour!

So I'm left cleaned out financially with a system that doesn't work properly.. I recommissioned old secondary pump and, wahay, heat comes to second floor along with enough air to inflate a large scale bouncy castle. So although the new pump worked at first, the problem (whatever it is) now requires 2 pumps to get things moving.. but

I now see that there is nothing getting through to a room on the ground floor. so the problem seems to have shifted rather than gone away.

Do you think that a power flush will sort this out or is it something that really would require new system of pipes. It's a very old house and system appears to have been added to on at least 3 occasions - so there is no continuity in pipework.

Also is cowboy liable to sort out spillage on exterior - it looks like a giant has thrown up down the side of the hosue and it can only be removed by scrubbing with detergent - I tried power jetting it but nothing shifted. As the source of the leak is about 40 foot up I can't reach it at all.

Oh and yes - he's now trying to charge us for his mob draining down the system as well! Oh and we're girls, I think this might have informed both his quote and his attitude!

Sponsored Links
8000 quid?? That has to be a mis-print.

How much did you pay?

joe

this is why plumbers get a bad name.

you should have phoned the police and explained to them and not paid your £8k - if thats correct :!:

hindsight is a wonderful thing. I would hot foot it down to your citizens advice bureau and then a solicitor.

Lorraine

Sponsored Links
Trading Standards may be worth a question as well as the manufacturer and Corgy

Ripped off big time comes to mind but we don't know the size of the boiler or the work involved, so could be out of order.

£8000.00 would be a small job for us so more info would be required on what was fitted (chucked in) and the fluing setup.

Sounds like you may have a modified Original Gravity Circuit that has been Pump Assisted at a later Date...........Shame you found a Cowboy :cry: and also that I`m @ the opposite end of the country :cry: I`ve done a bit of work on old systems and enjoy the challenge.......Good Luck with your litigation

post his name,address and phone numbers here.[only to warn others]
get a photo as well,helps with any claim against him.
good luck.

That'll teach you for trying to get a cheap job done by the ex :D
He's only trying to get some of the payments to the CSA back :LOL:

Trading Standards / CAB are the best bet, though if you really want a big bill, try the solicitor route.

It was indeed 8000 quid. The breakdown of the invoice is:
potterton gas boiler - 2468.75
Boiler controls - 192.40
Flue assembly parts - 622.20
circulating pump + speed control valves
Fresh air fan, Ducting and fitting - 328.25
Fan control - 87.90
pipe + fittings - 148.30
cabling +power 118.00
Sand and cement - 100.00
Labour - 2460.00
+ Vat.

The boiler was the smallest in the range - we needed an industrial boiler becasue of the number of rads in the house and becasue the ground floor has ceilings of around 4 metres high.

We couldn't get anyone else in the area to give us a quote - apparently only certain installers are allowed to put in industrial boilers. It was minus 5 at the time, and he told us that the boiler would have to be custom made for us - yeah, that's why you can get them from Discounted Heating for 1047 + vat. ( got to love hindsight)

He had originally included the fluing system in the quote, but becasue old flue worked perfectly well ( through chimney) he gave us a 250 quid discount!

He installed a vast ventilation system in the cellar venting through the old window. It's grotesque and sounds like the engine room of a liner. It also has a vast steel outlet that wouldn't go amiss at the lloyds building. when I asked if this was really necessary, he said yes. building regs in Scotland say so. I very much doubt that such a vast bit of kit (it stand 2 foot high in the garden) is a standard requirement.

The flue assembly parts as far as I can see consist of a series of flexible steel units that take the boiler flue from the cellar to the chimney - about 7 feet horizontal distance.

The labour involved was - 4 blokes to get the boiler into the cellar - it weighed a ton.

one engineer + assistant for 3 days to put in piping again about 7 feet of kit
and a sparks to wire in the controls and the vent system. maybe about 2 days in total.

Worst thing is that, becasue they are practically the only industrial heating firm in the area, they had a good reputation. The fault is ours to a certain extent in that we believed he was putting in the right kit. I'm sure his business clients wouldn't pay that much.

I spent all today venting air from the system and running the secondary pump - it's now actaully working. Just turned off secondary pump and we have heat for the first time in months.

I still think that a flush would make sure the sludge gets taken out. Do power flushed actually work, or are then another con?

I think I will go to trading standards. You can't do anything about the % of mark up but I can at least try and get him to clean up the house. I don't actaully want him anywhere near the gaff again so I'll get someone else to do the power flush thing if it will help keep things moving.

You know the really dumb thing? He's one of the few tradesmen who have turned up to quote (on this eternal renovation project we call home) that didn't drive a 50K range rover, so I trusted him. Turns out that he's got 2 aston martins at home!

O Dear halcal

I'm just about to put a spanner in the works :cry:

You may have read my earlier post about cost and type of building etc.

The boiler model we don't know as yet, but it would be factory assembled or more often than not assembled on site because of the weight, whatever the assembling is extra to the selling price £480 ish plus Vat.

Therefore subject to further information the price you paid would be about right.

not excusing the mess though as this is unexceptable and the installer should be made to sort it out.

The ventilation system again sounds about right and if you tell me the boiler model I can give you the ventilation requirements. again more information on what has been installed would be usefull for a safety check

Part of a boiler shown pre-erection.

boiler001.jpg

joe-90 said:
doitall said:
Part of a boiler shown pre-erection.

Do you mean flacid?

There's 2 C in flaccid and do they look soft to you, I mean come on get real :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Also it weigh'd 800 Kg when assembled you wouldn't want that on top of you.

:cry: :cry:

And remind me to Kill Tony Glazier when I see him :evil: :evil:

I'm rarely flaccid so I wouldn't know.;)

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back