Inaccessable leak. Where to get a slip Compression Joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old pipe work has developed a leak in the bathroom... This has caused damage to the downstairs flat.

Basically there is a right angled joint, about 40mm length of copper tube, followed by a weeping slip coupling and a long run, this is at the back of the bath.....

The only thing I can think of, is to cut out the joint and fit a long 22mm compression slip coupling, but I cant find anywhere that does them except in the states! The local plumbing store only has the normal (non slip) compressino joiners.

Any ideas or links where I can get one?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends how long you want it. Same length as standard 22mm compression, bore out the shoulder. Longer use 2 x 22mm-28mm reducers. Bore out the 22mm shoulders then join them with a suitable length of 28mm.

you only need to move the pipe an inch to get a standard coupling on, no chance of that? have you tried?

surely if you can get to it to tighten a conex, you can get to it to sweat it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses... Actually I hadn't thought about the spanner angles for a compression joint could be tricky. Might be able to get a miniblowtorch in place to sweat it, but the pipe is right at the back of the bath and will be wet.
Top tip bout the 2x22mm compression fittings, however dont have easy access to suitable pillar drill for removing the shoulders, but will keep that in mind for the future.
Am stuck for ideas apart from ripping the new (-ish 1 year old bath) out and doing it properly...

please have a think before you try to solder it. if you are going to do it lying on your belly arms outstretched with minimal vision of the joint it might not work or you might set something on fire.

Top tip bout the 2x22mm compression fittings, however dont have easy access to suitable pillar drill for removing the shoulders,

I would recommend a small lathe rather than a drill, but you could use a large vice and a power drill. Just remember to stone the edges of the bit so you have zero or negative rake.

Having slept on it, I've never been 100% happy with the old pipe work tbh. I think the easiest (and safest route) will be to remove the bath completely and cut out the old pipework and replace with yorkshire fittings...
Just a thought, I really dont want to go thru this hassle again, are there any thoughts on reinforcing old joints? wrapping with LSX or anything? The work on the old pipe work is pretty terrible (barratts build) with stacks of solder drips every where (obviously not that much flowed into the joints as it turns out).

Just seen this however... http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...ndid=9270771&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266881056

Any thoughts?

My local B&Q also has a slip compression that's about 3" long especially for "if you have to cut a bit out" (in 22mm and 15mm). Still may be issue about spanners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back